Saturday, November 6, 2010

Thursday, Friday: More Scarves

It's obvious by my outfits lately that fall is here. It's not the colors or the layering that gives it away: it's the scarves. I have worn one every day but Wednesday this week! Let's see the latest versions: -- these are two new ones that are making their debut.

Thursday:



I saw this yellow and grey cotton one at Old Navy a couple of weeks ago, and instantly fell in love. The colors, of course, were the first thing that grabbed my attention, but then I realized it was actually an animal print pattern not just random geometrics. Sneaky! I don't really have a lot of animal print -- it's not quite my style -- but this one was too clever to pass up.



The rest of the outfit was "trapped at the desk all day, better get comfy" business casual. I snipped the belt loops off the sweater soon after I got it last year which hasn't been a problem until today when I wore the self-belt for the first time with it; it kept riding up too high most of the day like it is doing in the picture. But when I was walking around where people could see me, I tugged it down further to my waist and it looked much better.

Sweater: H&M chunky boyfriend
Layering top: LOFT scoopneck long sleeved
Pants: Gap modern bootcuts, black
Shoes: pointed toe black flats, DSW
Scarf: Old Navy yellow animal print



Friday:



My co-workers loved this; one of them called it "autumnal". I call it my "collegiate" look. Everything about this was deliberate; the melon is actually a very spring-y color, and I wanted to play that down. So I dug around and pulled out this fall-colored scarf that I bought last year (from Target, maybe?) and had yet to find the right outfit for. The colors are great, but the weight and the intensity of them seemed almost over-the-top theatrical; everything I tried to wear it with looked like a costume where I was playing the role of "Person Walking Through the Leaves in Fall". Pairing it with the springy melon balanced both seasonal pieces out, don't you think?



The way I styled it was deliberate as well; after fussing with various scarf-tying techniques, I really liked the basic one-loop around the neck look best -- classic college football game attire. What goes with that better than a buttoned-up cardigan? Nothing! I can't even remember the last time I buttoned up a cardigan, to be honest with you. But this worked, especially with the tuxedo pintucks of the tunic top.



Skinny pants to give it a modern silhouette, heeled suede clogs to provide another college throwback with yet another modern update, and I was good to go. I liked this a lot; not only was it appropriate for work and ridiculously comfortable, it felt very "blog-worthy" too. ;-)




Sweater: BR silk boyfriend cardigan
Top: white pintucked tunic, Nordstrom
Pants: black NYDJ ponte pants
Shoes: brown suede BOC heeled clogs, DSW

I am definitely doing the 30 for 30 challenge, and I am SO GLAD that accessories are not part of the 30. I could use up all my slots just on scarves otherwise! :)

5 comments:

  1. I've always liked that melon sweater.

    Is it so light that you can't wear anything but white under it without showing through?

    I might like a dark shirt that picks up the scarf, if you can't see it through the sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're doing 30 for 30! Me too -- I'm a bit scared. But it'll be good for me. Anyway, I love that autumn scarf, and I think you did right by it, putting it with the melon. A genius move.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, thanks for the idea! To be honest, it's never occurred to me to try it with a darker layering piece. I will see how it goes!

    Ooooh, Julia, this one will definitely be a challenge for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the grey and yellow scarf so much that I went to Old Navy to try to find it. One thing I have finally learned is that the Old Navy and Kohl's you shop at are in a different universe from the ones in my area, because I never find the items there that you post on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, Anon! Hee, a different universe. Trust me, they are at those stores! I just tend to look at the tucked away corners, and I don't really bother with the sales racks. I've learned the hard way the stuff I like never makes it there. I use coupons instead for my deals.

    ReplyDelete