Thursday, November 11, 2010

30 in 30 Challenge: Day 3

After a couple of days of neutrals, it was time for a blast of color.



I don't know what inspired me to try these two together, but I liked it. The Kohls sweater has turned out to be a versatile workhorse, and the burgundy/rust color goes with just about everything!

DSC_7475DSC_7436DSC_7387DSC_7370

Hee, I love how I went from wearing it with a safe coordinating colors like the grey tie-dyed to the last few choices with teals and this marigold/mustard (is that the right name for it?). Hmm, I might be repeating that brown combo this month; that one is still my favorite.

The marigold Gap top is also turning out to be a fun one. I'm definitely replacing that top button to a gold one so it stands out less. I will also like it better once my belly shrinks down a bit and it hangs better at the bottom.

The rest of the outfit is your basic black NYDJ ponte skinnies, black Naturalizer booties, and as I am trying to stay simple this week, just this one multi-stone necklace from a local jeweler. It's a bit of a statement piece so I wear it sparingly. But I liked how the greens and the length of it played among the marigold ruffles.



+++++

In dieting news, I hit sweet, sweet fat-burning ketosis yesterday, my third day back on Medifast. The headache, mild nausea, and constant hunger all vanished, and now even the little bars satisfy me for a "meal". Once you get there on Medifast, the plan becomes much easier to follow; the hardest part here on out is resisting the temptations of tradition and emotional attachment to food. If I go off-plan at this point, it is usually not because I am hungry but because I am at a holiday dinner bursting with tradition and expectations, or I am stressed and don't have a non-eating coping mechanism, or even just a simple outing with friends where we normally eat and drink without thinking about it.

To prepare for that, I have a few strategies:
1. Eliminate most of the temptation upfront. Hubby and I are doing this together again, and so neither one of us is egging the other on when we get home and are stressed and exhausted and ready to order pizza and beer. I've cut back on my social obligations with friends for a couple of weeks, and when I do have them I will try to set up non-restaurant-based outings. The leftover Halloween candy got dumped into the work bowl a week ago, and I am about to clean out my pantry to donate a bunch of stuff to our local food bank.

2. Have emergency backup plans. I keep a bar or two in my purse just in case I get caught in traffic or out and about where I might miss a meal. I forgot that on Day 2 -- I had a hot cocoa for the afternoon but was in a meeting and could not prepare it -- but I won't do that again!

3. Make my choices about holiday events BEFORE I get there. I just booked a trip to see my ailing aunt and her family in Tucson for Thanksgiving, and I know there will be a big feast. But as much as I love 'em, their traditions are not mine and so I'm going to stick to plan while there. I'm doing a lot of the cooking anyway so I will prepare extra veggies, and I'm pretty picky about my stuffing and potatoes so they should be easy to pass up.
On the other hand, I am also spending a week in Vegas at Christmas with my parents. I'm still deciding what I will do then; a lot of it depends on how well my weight loss is going. Success breeds success, as you know!

4. Gaze adoringly/longingly at my dress closet. I am coming back to you soon, girls!

+++++

I got a few questions about Medifast in comments on other entries; if you guys have any more please leave 'em here and I will do a separate follow-up Q&A post about it!

7 comments:

  1. Love the color combination! Holidays are tough, I always plan lots of calorie-burning long walks when I visit my parents at Thanskgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look like a Washington Redskins fan with the burgundy and gold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how the necklace really ties the colors of the sweater and blouse together.

    The holidays are definitely tough. I don't know how it would work on something like Medifast, but I usually just give myself the day to enjoy all of my favorite holiday foods. I don't totally gorge or anything, but I remember that it's just one day, and one day isn't going to put me off track or totally undo all of my progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. You give me so many great ideas. That's why yours is my favorite fashion blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering WHY ON EARTH you would start Medifast right before the Thanksgiving-New Year's eat-o-rama but now I see you've got a plan! At our dojo they say, "Plan your work, work your plan. Do this and you won't fail." Simple but true.

    I agree, replace the button on that blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the marigold/mustard with the burgundy - such a wonderful colour combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on ketosis! The FAQ you linked to was very interesting. I thought this had to be done at a clinic. It looks like you can DIY. I've never really thought about doing a diet like this but the more I struggle with middle age weight gain, the more I am considering a plan like this. Thinking out loud.

    ReplyDelete