Sunday, September 12, 2010

The "Don't Eat Like a Polack" Diet

Had a lovely visit with my parents yesterday, and sent them on their way West after breakfast this morning. My mom and I got to talking a bit about dieting this morning, and I told her I've been thinking about all the different kinds of diets out there and how I wasn't sure what I wanted to do next about my weight and general health. She mentioned Jenny Craig and WW, and I explained why I would never do MF again, but then I talked a little bit about all the other types of non-commercial diets, like all the variations on eating low-carb or low-fat or low-protein, and how I don't really want to do any of those. I just want to eat healthier foods. She shared that her doctor had said that if she just ate 5 vegetable servings a day, she would lose weight. We both knew what he meant: if she would supplant some of the other starches and meats she put on her plate with vegetables, she would eat fewer calories, healthier foods, it would help her cholesterol, and yes she would lose weight.

In other words, we need to stop eating like Polacks.

My husband and I both come from Polish families, and the traditions not just at holidays but all the time run very deep. A typical Easter dinner at my mother-in-law's consists of: two types of kielbasa (sausage), a ham, cheesy mashed potatoes, 3 kinds of pierogis (potato, cheese and sometimes sauerkraut), dinner rolls, and if she remembers, either iceburg lettuce and French dressing in a side bowl, or a microwaved bag of frozen mixed vegetables. For those of you counting at home, that is 3 meats, 3 starches, and one lone nutrient-free vegetable.

That was typical for my childhood; vegetables were always on the table, but they were often boiled to death. A favorite dinner of ours was spaghetti and meatballs, and the best part of the meal (besides the pounds of angel hair pasta) was the buttery garlic bread my mother would make in the oven. It was the only time she ever used the broiler, to my knowledge. (I am still not sure how to use mine.) We rarely had any room in our bellies to finish the iceburg and French dressing salads on the side, and we rarely got in trouble for not finishing them.

The other takeaway memory of cooking from my childhood was that my mother hated cooking. She worked a fulltime job and often had a whole second volunteering for one organization or another, and would come home frazzled and tired and would throw a bunch of pots on the stove at once. I was never taught that cooking could be interesting or fun; it was always a dreaded chore. Or she cooked for parties, but again that was for everyone else and just one of many tasks needed to be completed to get ready for the guests.

But something funny happened along the way, and it took me until this morning to realize it. My mother changed. She's been talking about the different foods she and my dad cook for a while, but I haven't been listening. I've been too stuck in my ideas of the past, not seeing that just like I have re-invented myself, so has my mother.

DSC_7241

She brought these as a gift this weekend. It isn't the first time she's given me homemade jams, but it's the first time I've really seen them for what they are. My mother, the woman who never met a carrot stick she couldn't boil to mush or drown in spinach dip on a crudite platter, makes her own jams and relishes. I confess, I am a little afraid to taste them because she still isn't the greatest cook LOL, but I am going to give them a try. Because they are proof that we are not bound to our genetics forever, and we are all capable of change.

Taking that idea further, that's the way I want to eat better now; I want to learn how to throw off the years of tradition, biology, and family bonding, and stop eating like a Polack. I am taking all the best ideas from Weight Watchers and the Core plan, the excellent tips from Mark Bittman's Food Matters, from the Abs Diet book I got from Helen this spring, and even from Medifast, and making up some rules of eating/dieting I am going to follow:

1. I can only have more than one protein (meat, cheese, fish, eggs, peanut butter, etc) on my plate once per day. The other meals I must limit it to one protein.
2. No more than one starch on my plate per meal. (Does not include starchy vegetables. Starches for this current definition are: whole grains, potatoes, breads, rices.)
3. Vegetables are not an afterthought. For at least one meal a day and preferably two, they should be more than half my plate.
4. The phrases "swimming in butter" or "cooked in bacon fat or lard" cannot describe how my foods are prepared.
5. Eat at least 5 servings of vegetables/fruits a day.

That's it. For right now, I'm not going to worry about counting calories or points, or restricting alcohol, sweets or anything else. I am just going to change the focus of what proportions and types of foods I eat. I have to get that down and into a habit first, then I will work on the rest.

That's my Don't Eat Like a Polack diet. I have to admit, I am looking forward to it!

++++++

Putting this into action, however, is going to be a challenge. I have plans after work with friends every night this week until Thursday, so I am focusing right now while I am excited and enthusiastic on my breakfasts and lunches.

DSC_7237

Here's my haul from the farmer's market today. A grocery store trip is also on the books for this afternoon, then I've prepped my iPod for a couple of hours of fun in the kitchen. I put together some recipes from Bittman's book that I want to try, so for the week we will be eating:

-ground bison meatloaf (a meat-and-grain loaf recipe from Bittman) tonight, perfect for sandwiches for a few days
-chopped cabbage salad (Bittman)
-homemade applesauce (can't eat raw apples but I love applesauce!)
-sliced carrots and red pepper strips
-almonds, yogurt and fruit for snacks
-peanut-butter toast and canteloupe or watermelon for breakfast
-something with that corn; maybe a carrot and corn veggie pancake (also from Bittman's book)

If the recipes turn out well, I will post them with pictures. :)

16 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea! When I flirted with vegetarianism it was very similar. If you cut down on the meat in your diet, you really do make room for more vegetables. Starches make me drool, so I can never get rid of them completely, but the important thing is to prioritize the fruits and veggies. I'm excited that a visit with your mom helped to give an additional perspective on diets and change.

    Also, you have reminded me of Kielbasa, something I haven't had in years. Um. YUM. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every recipe I've ever tried from Mark Bittman has been fabulous.

    I love how you are exploring and reaching and trying your very best to figure out what is the best possible course for your health. It's so inspiring!

    You know, if this works for you, maybe you can write a book "Don't Eat Like a Polack" and encourage others too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a very good plan! I think choosing to eat healthier and eat less is so hard, but like everything else in the world it can become a habit, and once it does, you're set. The less you're around foods that aren't good for you, the less you'll eat them, and then time will pass and you'll realize you haven't even missed them. I went like 2 years without eating ice cream -- not on purpose but just because I never had occasion to see it, be near it, or buy it, and then when I went to my sister's college graduation and she was like "let's go get some ice cream cones!" I was like, "whoa! I haven't had ice cream in years!" and it was so delicious.

    That's totally off topic. Anyway, I think another wonderful way to feel full without eating a ton of unhealthy stuff is simply to eat fish quite often. That's what I do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like some great recipes!

    I am a 1/4 Polish, but the types of food I ate growing up were mostly southern. Think fried chicken, canned green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy, etc. My great Aunt used to cook a lot of Polish food, but I don't really remember it. I didn't have pierogis made from scratch until I became interested in learning more about my heritage while in college.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see all the stuff you make!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds kind of like the Anti-Inflammatory Diet too. Here's the pyramid:
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02995/Dr-Weil-Anti-Inflammatory-Food-Pyramid.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a practical and workable option for you, Kristen! Although I still do WW, I go by the old Core system, and I try to eat as much unprocessed food as possible. As I love to eat, that means that all the "extra" food I want is usually in the form of fruit, veggies and whole grains.

    Don't forget to give yourself one "treat" night so you don't feel deprived! For me, knowing that I have one night when I can be "bad" helps me make it through the days when I am just tired of all the freakin' veggies. :)

    I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great plan - I love the name! Never heard of Mark Bittman but now I'm going to look him up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good one! I ate vegan for nearly 5 years for health reasons (but am not suggesting that you should do the same at all). Have you ever tried a teaspoon of softish avocado (better than butter or any substitutes) and 1/2 tsp of mixed seeds on toast for breakfast? It's both creamy and crunchy - heaven! These days I am a carnivore again, but sometimes have a vegetarian day and use canned and rinsed beans (butter beans/chickpeas/red kidney beans/lentils etc)instead of grains and a protein, together with lots of veggies, just to ensure I get my fill of vegetables.

    FYI I lost 26 kg in 2007, but have put on 12 kg back due to less strict eating and no more running (achilles tendon problem).

    All the best, I look forward to reading about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the encouragement and tips! Unfortunately I am not a fan of avocado, but I do love my beans!

    Shelley, my favorite cookbook of Mark Bittman's is How To Cook Everything. You will never, ever run out of ideas with that one in your house!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting post. Can totally relate with the mother who didn't like to cook, actually mine still doesn't.
    One thing I notice every time I'm in France with MIL is that I eat much more vegetables and the reason is very simple, she knows how to cook them.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I'm totally ordering that Mark Bittman cookbook. Have been following his blog and it's awesome.

    Not being Polish at all, I could really relate to your mother and your mushy veggie stories. I think this was a widespread epidemic across many ethnic groups! In fact, my 83-year-old father-in-law visited this weekend, and when I served him roasted brussels sprouts, he ate them and commented, "Men would never eat this food," and laughed. I was totally confused! So I asked, What?? He explained that men back in his day would never eat vegetables. Mostly ham and the occasional potato. He is 100% German, and first generation. No wonder their ancestors all died young!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That seems like a very wise and balanced plan. My mom did WW in the past and is doing so again, and she's basically doing the same thing - and adding passing up desserts and sweets (her workplace is rife with goodies and snacks) to the list, too.
    I've been trying to think of the same principle about the proportion of veggies to other things - that they should take up about half of my plate. It's a good visual cue so I don't simply think I'm okay for including a sliced-up veggie as part of an otherwise unhealthy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like a good plan to be but I'm going to add that you must eat smaller portions of those healthier foods.

    Portion control is as important as healthier foods. Certainly your portions of steamed and baked without fat vegetables can be larger, but you still need to get your "eye" adjusted to portions that are smaller.

    It's hard for those of us who were always members of the clean plate club as children.

    A new set of measuring cups is a good way to begin a healthier eating program.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also did medifast for about 6 months and lost about 30lbs. I immediately gained it back plus 5lbs. I honestly think that diet has destroyed my metabolism. I have recently read 2 different books about intuitive eating that have made perfect sense. One of the books is called "The Overfed Head". You can go to thintuition.com and download a free copy of the book. I highly suggest reading it. I have lost 4lbs this week by following the guidelines.

    Love your blog by the way! You have inspired a couple of different clothing purchases I have made.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have you tried the "Fiber Up, Slim Down" cookbook? It really revolutionized the way I ate...really cool book, full of the science behind the diet, as well as good recipes.

    (BTW be careful about eating a lot of fish what with mercury and other toxins...)

    ReplyDelete