Anyway, I haven't been taking pictures of my work outfits this week, but I do have a few of my hiking and casual outfits from our trip. The photos were mostly taken by my nephews, aged 11 and 8, so you will have to excuse any bad angles or weird poses. I couldn't check the shot and do a lot of do-overs, as you can imagine. ;-)

My sister and me after a fairly grueling hike to this stunning waterfall on our first day. I've never hiked in the mountains before, and I've been living in the flat lands of the Midwest for the last 20 years. OMG, going uphill is BRUTAL. I thought I was going to die, and this was comparatively not a long hike. I knew after this one climbing Mt. Washington was not for me. My sister, aka Lucy Ricardo with the hare-brained scheme, persisted with the goal of climbing it though. AND SHE DID IT.
Cheek-to-cheek is a common pose for us; we have shots of us like this from when we were little all through the years. So sweaty and rumpled or not, we did it again.

I am wearing a Harvard graphic tee from Target, a white camisole, black Lands End terry shorts, Merrell hiking boots, and my LL Bean windbreaker around my waist. (The belted look, haha.) The backpack is a camera-specific one, perfect for lugging my Nikon D80 and extra accessories everywhere.

Hubby and me at another waterfall the next day. The butterflies just loved us in our bright colors! I am in a LOFT top and Walmart sports bra (classy!), and probably my DKNY cargo shorts. He has an orange polo and his ridiculous fishing hat which I loathe and somehow ended up in every picture. It's like it was mocking me!

Getting ready to ride the Cog Railroad up Mt. Washington. My sister was determined to hike to the top, so she did that with her husband while we brought her sons up to the top to meet her at the summit. I had my 8-year-old nephew take these shots. I asked him, "Did you get one with the train in the background?"

"Sure did!" he replied. ;-D
My 11-year-old nephew took a few more of me with Hubby.


Awww. I am in my Ralph Lauren aviators, a red BR tee-shirt, my pocketwatch necklace (so I can keep an eye on the time), Kut from the Kloth boyfriend jeans unrolled, and my LL Bean windbreaker with the fleece insert added. It was flipping COLD up at the top, and I knew I had to be ready. The fishing hat continues to taunt me.
At the top, 11-year-old took another couple of shots us at the summit sign. I love the second one; clearly we had no idea he was still shooting. LOL!


(Plus my hair finally looks good pulled back. I know, I know, I am going in for a haircut soon, but with all the running around and hiking and whatnot -- I had to pull it off my face. This shot is how it usually looks when I am in motion, not the weird flat look when I shoot it dead-on.)

After my totally amazing sister hiked to the top of Mt. Washington, I treated her to a luxurious day at a spa. We whirlpooled, steam bathed, ate lovely healthy food, lazed about in oversized robes on chaise lounges, and ended with much needed massages. To enjoy our girls-day, we got about as dressed up as we had packed: pretty sandals, dark shorts/capris, a beaded tank for her and an oversized white tunic and my beloved melon boyfriend sweater for me. Of course, we did the cheek-to-cheek face smash. Because we are dorks.
One last shot, not quite a portrait but one of my favorite moments of the trip. Hubby and I hiked to a gorgeous lake tucked away in the middle of the White Mountains. He did some fishing, and I just gawked at how lovely and serene it was there.
Sorry to hear about your kitty -- I've lost three in the last two years (2 elderly, one unexpectedly) and it's a sad time. But, as a result, two great new cats have come into my life. The healthy cats definitely understand when someone is sick and it's heartbreaking how sad they get when they lose another cat that's been their "special friend". I had to get a new cat fairly soon after one of mine died, because my oldest cat was pining for his special buddy. Fortunately he liked the new cat I got at that time!
ReplyDeleteAlso, great photos -- looks like a fab vacation!
Oh, Kristen, I am so sorry to hear about Sophie. *hug* That is just the worst. I know exactly how awful that is to deal with, having just lost our beloved Othello. She'll have a playmate when she gets to kitty heaven.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like George is reacting like Inigo did - very lovey and needy. We'll be getting a new friend for him in the next couple of months, probably.
Great pictures!
It looks to me like you had a healthy & relaxing vacation. The skies (and water) are so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for your loss and that it came so close on the heels of your vacation.
Loved the view of the world through your eyes while you were on vacation. Especially the shot of Oak Street Beach. That was amazing!
ReplyDeleteHow great that you had so much girl bonding time with your sister. You really hiked up a storm!
And I am so sorry about your kitty but glad you made it home in time to be with her. xx L.
I'm so sorry about your kitty :(
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! Sounds like you had a great vacation. Such great pictures.
ReplyDeleteI'm sad to hear about your cat. She was very cute.
I'll be in Chicago twice in October. Maybe we can meet in person? 7th, 8th and 14th are possibilities.
I am so sorry for your kitty. *hugs*
ReplyDeleteIt looks like a great vacation! And the sky is so beautiful! *sigh*
hugs
http://lemontartsweetheart.blogspot.com/
So sorry to hear about, Sophie. That's the hardest part about having pets - you want them to leave as long as you do and they don't. ((HUGS)). May she rest in peace.
ReplyDeleteExtra tlc from George to you.
Drink any Tuckerman's Ale? That's our favorite and you can only get it there.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry about Sophie - losing pets is really hard, and it catches you at unexpected moments. Hugs to you and your hubby.
ReplyDeleteYour vacations pictures are great and it looks like y'all had a lot of fun - love the cheek smush shots!
I'm so sorry about Sophie. It's so hard to lose a cat. It really is amazing how the surviving cats react to what happened. I think they really can understand when their family needs comforting.
ReplyDeleteOh, Kristen, I am so sorry about Sophie's passing. That is the hardest thing to deal with. I know it's a terribly painful decision having to put pets to sleep - I've been there myself - but I'm glad that you did the right thing and that Sophie is no longer in pain.
ReplyDeleteSecondly - I am always in awe of your beautiful vacation shots. The final photo is breathtaking.
Looks like good times with your family - your sister sounds like a sweetie and very fun! Good for you for completing such a grueling hike.
I am sorry to hear about your kitty. :-(
ReplyDeleteIt was fun to see all your pics and hear about the hike! :-)
That is heartbreaking, I'm so very sorry. It's so tough when you raise them from babies, they are like your kids, at least for me. Anyways, here is a blogger ((HUG))...
ReplyDeleteThank you all so much! Your kind thoughts are very much appreciated.
ReplyDeleteRose, we did have Tuckerman's -- not bad! I also had a great local amber at the Mt Washington Hotel that I liked the best, but I don't think it was Tuckerman's.
LoP, I will PM you at YLF. Laura and I would love to meet you when you come to town!!
I am so sorry for your families loss. Furbabies are so special and the loss of one is truely heartbreaking. Give George a scratch for me.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteI was sorry to hear about your cat. I just had to make that same decision with my dog, and it's hard. After being with you for over a decade, they leave a hole in your life when they go.
ReplyDeleteAww lady. I am so sorry to hear that you lost Sophie. That is so sad. I'm glad you got a chance to go adventuring the week before. It looks like a seriously fun trip to me.
ReplyDeleteKristen I am so sorry about Sophie.
ReplyDeletePets are an extension of our family and sadly they are little angels that do not get to be around as much as we wish they did.
Kristen, I'm so sad for you after losing Sophie. I know how hard that is and it is no wonder you and your hubby, and George need time to grieve.
ReplyDeleteThe vacation shots are amazing. Your sister is a doll, just like you. You and your hubby make a great looking couple.
San