(Kendra, I still think they are cute too, and I have no problem with the western style. But the width and the fit bothered me; they didn't look right with any dresses or with jeans. So back they go!)
Instead, I have ordered the Melissa style in bordeaux:

We shall see if these are the ones in a couple of days. I like the styling although it is a little more riding boot than western, but they're a lot sleeker and the pull-tabs don't appear to be as widening. I do wish they were grey, but the bordeaux is pretty gorgeous.
What I found fascinating in all the replies was the resounding response that the Billys were 'not my style'. The consensus here and on YLF seemed to be that I should go for a sleeker boot, I think to match my dressier business casual days. Which is a fair statement, except that I already have two excellent pairs of tall boots to fit those outfits: a rich brown flat riding boot from Franco Sarto, and a black wingtip-slash-cowboy tall boot from Vince Camuto.
My goal with the Fryes is to find something fun and more casual; something that I can wear under bootcuts or with my casual dresses on the weekends. Ankle boots aren't quite working, and I don't really want the edginess of an Engineer or Harness look. I am looking in a way to shake up my style, which was the opposite of where everyone else seemed to want me to go. Maybe it was just the extreme of the cowboy boot that provoked the responses; they do tend to be a love-em or hate-em style. (I am in the love camp.) I'm not yet convinced these Melissa will be the fun boots I am looking for, but maybe that shouldn't be the goal. Maybe a perfectly styled boot is the better fit for me, even on the weekends.
Anyway, I appreciate all the honest feedback. The Birthday Frye hunt continues!
Little did you know that a simple pair of boots could stir up such strong emotions!
ReplyDeleteCan hardly wait to see you in the Melissas. If your heart is set on grey, you could try the Carson tall boots in grey. My friend bought them this fall and they rarely left her feet. They have a hint of cowboy styling but are sleeker and more classic ... and come in grey, did I mention that? :)
I'm not much of a cowboy boot fan myself. I like the new boots you've chosen. Have you considered Fluevogs? They have a lot of really neat boot styles that could be fun: http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w[]=gender:women&w[]=attribute:Boot
ReplyDeleteOh hey! Now that I know a little better what niche you expect them to fill in your closet: I like my Peri's by Born. They're flat boots, great quality, and really great for casual wear.
ReplyDeleteAren't these the same ones you bought at Nordstroms on one of our shopping trips? And then returned them? They look just like them (from what I can recall).
ReplyDeleteNow, you know me. I have 2 pair of cowboy boots, the Frye Harness boots as well as the 3 buckle Paige (I think) boots & a myriad of other styles and colors of boots. Remember the ones that I waited in line to have Mr. Franco Sarto autograph? And then, wore them in the rain, smudging his signature. That was a sad day.
Anyway, what I think regarding the boots issue is that the cowboy boot is not a sleek enough look. The ones that I have seen you in tend to be too slouchy in some areas and too big in others, which leads to an unflattering look. What I would love to see you in is a pair of edgy, fun, yet can be conservative boots. Something with a slim shaft that fits your calves better, especially since you've been working so hard at it!
The boots exist! I know they do!
And the Frye Harness boot is not all that edgy.....I wear it, granted, I also ride on the back of a motorcycle, but still. Would never consider myself as "edgy" and when R gets a motorcycle, you can find a pair of edgy, sexy, fun boots that are also really comfortable to wear, all day.
I'll keep my eyes open for you since I'm surrounded by shoes all day, every day.
No, I bought and returned the Paige buckles -- twice. I know you've got tons of boots but my collection is still new so I add them slowly and with specific reasons for each ones. Kind of like the Coach purses. :)
ReplyDeletePlease do keep an eye out. At this rate I may not get any more boots this year, and put the hunt on hold until next fall. I have done well with my other boots this year, so if these Melissa's don't work I'm not sure if I will keep looking.
My hypothesis is that you might actually want to go shorter, for the fun look you're after, and the right proportion...just a thought.
ReplyDelete