Sunday, January 3, 2010

Stuff I Want: Filling in the Gaps, Winter Edition

Between the Christmas shopping I did for myself, the stocking up on staples I did before Christmas, and the 5 bags of clothes I got from Shopping Friend, the last thing I should need are more clothes. But my wardrobe overall is still missing a few key pieces, little gaps that have become more obvious as I incorporate all the new items into my current closet.

1. Colored turtlenecks


I am crazy about these Lands End turtlenecks. Fantastic layering pieces, and the colors have been perfect at perking up my winter darks; the aztec gold and the Hamburglar striped ones are standouts in my closet now. They're still on sale, and I would love to pick up one in this spiced rhubarb color, and maybe the pine. A good dark green is hard to find!

2. Brown leather belt, not braided


(Ralph Lauren at Bloomingdales)


(Martin + Osa)

I don't have a dark brown belt for wearing over sweaters or tops anymore. There was a huge selection at ShopStyle, but I don't want the cowboy look or something that goes more with jeans. I'll know it when I find it!

3. Patterned/Printed Tops to go under blazers


Nordstrom


Banana Republic


Bloomingdale's

I have amassed an impressive collection of blazers, mostly from Shopping Friend. What I don't have are some good tops to go under them. I don't like solids when I am wearing the blazer for work; it seems too formal suit-ish. So patterned tops it is; now I just need the right ones for winter!

4. Flat ankle boots, in a fun color



Blue, you guys. BLUE.

I saw these at Nordstrom a few weeks ago, but they didn't have my size, and I was afraid to buy blue short cowboy boots without at least one other friend to tell me if I was crazy or not. I need a fun pair of casual boots/shoes to wear with all my shorter jeans, and these will totally fit the bill. I already have Converses and walking Privos, etc. I need these!

I dragged a girlfriend to Nordstrom today to get her opinion but the blues were already gone. YLF says to go for it, so...yep, I'm getting them. I will kick myself if I don't.

5. Pocket Watch on a chain



You know how much I love my gold locket from J Crew Outlet; well, when I saw My Style Pill's use of her grandparents' vintage pocket watches, I knew what I was truly craving. Want, want, want, WANT. I will be getting one this year. Just you, well, watch. ;-D

6 comments:

  1. A nice and wise list. I'm excited to see what you find in the way of tops to layer under blazers - you seem to find so many pretty tops and have a great knack for color combinations!

    I hit the post-Christmas sales pretty hard at Esprit and Boden, and I also have Ann Taylor, Macy's, and a small Nordstrom card to spend, so I suppose I need to prioritize what I want to buy with those dollars. After that I will be done for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, thanks for the tip about Land's End! I've been needing to stock up on some long-sleeve layering tees, and it looks like they have a really nice selection at good prices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have pretty much the exact same list as me!! Thats so wierd...
    I am definitely with you on the turtlenecks. I have had my eye on the one's at Target, for $12.50. They are super soft, and I love the heather grey striped. I think black striped would be a little too harsh on me.
    I think I also have a deep rooted aversion to turtlenecks from childhood. When I was growing up (80's), turtlenecks were SOO uncool, and I wore them unknowingly, since I didn't care what I wore.I am sure I was teased mercilessly behind my back, haha. Anyway, I think I need to try em to break the curse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had to laugh when I clicked over to the Nordstrom/boots link, and saw special advice about getting them on! Any shoe that suggests putting a plastic bag on my foot to get into them is not going to get worn very often. Not that they aren't totally adorable in blue.

    I keep my short list of wants on my phone, so I don't buy the things I THINK I need. "Is that a purple skirt? No? Well, then, you're not getting it, are you!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kristen! I think I will have fun with the skirt, too. (Heck, I already am!)

    Believe me, I only had bare arms indoors and covered up with my wrap when I got chilly. It's not too cold here, but definitely not warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kari, it's funny you say that because tops are so hard for me!

    Diana, I was tipped off to the LE ones from Ana, and she was dead on.

    Kendra, my preppy highschool days will endear me to t-necks forever, I believe! I think I have to give up on Target for a bit; the quality is just not there for me. Gap had some great supersoft t-necks too; they're probably on sale now.

    Roberta, I didn't even see that tip, LOL! I tried them on at the store and they didn't seem at all tight or hard to wear. What a weird instruction...

    ReplyDelete