The hardest part of issuing self-challenges like this is facing up to it when you haven't been trying. Blah, blah, okay it was the holidays, but if I had really wanted to work at this, I could have. I didn't.
But I went to my WW meeting today, knowing full well the damage was going to be huge, and I paid her to tell me how much I gained. It was as bad as I thought. The receptionist (who is also the leader at the Thursday meeting) drew a line above today's weigh-in, and said it was a fresh start. Just move forward, stay on plan, and keep going. So that's what I'm doing. It's a new year, and I've got 9 more weeks left in this challenge; I can make real headway if I work at it. And I want to work at it.
1. LOSE WEIGHT.
Weight: 186.2
GAIN: 6.2
In 3 weeks, oh boy. Okay, onward!
2. Eat one vegetable-based meal a day.
I was lucky when we were at my in-laws to get any vegetables in the meal at all. Yikes! But I am making a concerted effort this week to follow this. We've stocked up on salad fixin's (which we love), spaghetti squash and sauce, and I just picked up a bag of shredded cabbage and mushrooms today. That makes the best stir-fry...
3. Do at least 2 different types of exercise each week.
I completed the first week of the Couch-to-5K plan this week, Monday Wednesday and Saturday. I'm glad I'm starting from the beginning, because it's not easy!
I did have to miss my Friday workout because I was, um, hungover after New Year's, but I made sure to get there today. Next week I will get my C25K workouts done during the week, and Saturday after my WW meeting, I will hit the pool! Looking foward to that.
But oh my gosh, it must be January 2nd. The gym was PACKED. There was a line waiting to get into an exercise class next to the indoor track, and the pool water was splashing up on the sides there were so many people in there. I have to get there early or I'll be irritated.
4. Limit my sweets/dessert/treats to 3-4 per week.
There were Christmas cookies, and I got 4 different chocolate/candy gifts from co-workers. This was hopeless.
But I did throw away all the cookies and most of the candy now, and the few that are left are put aside for my 3-4 treats per week. Even those might get tossed in a day or two...
+++++
I'm not going to include them as part of a challenge or anything, but there are a few new habits I am trying to form now, to firm up my eating plan and really pushing myself to lose weight instead of continuing to gain.
-Eating a bowl of fruit with breakfast every morning. I read this new habit that What A Splurge had developed over last year, and it sounds like a brilliant idea. I have a platter of excellent fruit that I picked up for New Year's, and it's a great way to start the day!
-Tracking my food. I cracked open my WW journal again, and am even counting points this week.
-Eat more unexpected varieties of vegetable soup. I love soup, but when I think of "vegetable soup" I think of the cubed carrots, green beans, peas, zucchini and tomatoes that are in traditional vegetable soups. I hate all those veggies, especially together. So I bought a light Maryland crab broth soup, some light French onion, and a spicy black bean for this week's lunches. I'd like to make a non-creamy mushroom soon, and maybe a squash-tomato. They're still all vegetable, they're just not "vegetable soup".
-I've got to find a good dinner roll. With Medifast last year we gave up all bread and carbs, and that's not what I want to do this year. But I do want it in moderation, thus the dinner rolls; they're great with soup or to sop up the last bits of salad or spaghetti squash and tomato sauce. Natural Ovens used to have a great one but I haven't seen it in stores lately.
That's it for now! I have a good feeling about this week. Mainly because I CANNOT GAIN MORE WEIGHT. Argh!
Good luck with journey to healthy living in the new year.
ReplyDeleteToday was a practice day for me. I made it back to the gym, clean eating and trying to drink all my water. I feel like a camel. *GRIN* I'm taking before pics and making a workout plan for the week. I hope to get it posted on my health/fitness blog tomorrow.
If you like to bake, I love love love these rolls. Full of fiber too!
ReplyDeleteAlexia brand makes a whole grain roll that I've heard is great from many people (go to: www.alexiafoods.com to see their products). They sell these rolls in the freezer section at our local Super Target. I've gained a good 10 lbs. since Thanksgiving and feel like a giant cow. I feel your pain...we are going to lose the rest of the weight this year!!!
ReplyDeleteGood luck, Rose! We can do it!
ReplyDeleteAnnie, alas I am a terrible baker. Those look incredible, though.
Amy, thanks for the tip about Alexia. I've had their other products and they're delicious. I'll give the rolls a try!
First time commenter,long-time reader. I've been following your struggles with weight carefully, the mirror my own. Especially in the winter,soup is a great way to get the veggies in. I've been using Sundays to make a big pot of soup for the week ahead. Bean soups are easy & filling....have you tried that yet? Works really well for me Mon-Fri when I get the home-from-work binge urge.
ReplyDeleteGood luck! U can do it!! New year, new start :)
ReplyDeleteOh, anon, thanks for commenting! I do have some good bean soup recipes; I am sure I will be making a batch in the near future!
ReplyDeleteI'm with you, Kristen! I had the exact same interaction with the WW leader where I go!! Oh well. We just have to move on with the New Year, and maybe Kate Moss is right, "Nothing tastes better than skinny feels!" Haha. I like to eat the whole wheat english muffins--1 point!--with soups and salads too. Also, just for a challenge, I go to Women's Health Magazine online and try to follow one of their workouts. It mixes everything up. Good Luck! -C
ReplyDelete