It's a really beautiful store, with vaulted ceilings and huge open spaces where you can look out and see all six floors of shopping. There's a fountain on the first floor, and up on the seven there is the Walnut Room and a couple of other sit-down restaurants. Jessie and I didn't get to the Walnut Room this time -- we went for a glass of wine, lobster rangoon, and brown sugar cheesecake at the lobby bar at the Hotel Burnham -- but I think we will go next time. Hopefully it's less crowded when it's not the holidays.




I've haven't shopped at this particular store since I lost weight, but I definitely want to go back. There's just so MUCH to see and try; the shoe department alone took up nearly half of one floor -- and the store is an entire city block in size! We met there so I could try on some Frye's, just to start to get a feel for how all the styles look on me. I tried the mid-calf Harness, and they were a no-go. The height was all wrong for my shape, cutting me off at the wrong place on my leg, and the calves were way too wide for me. So I can cross those off the Birthday Fryes list!
When we met up, Jessie said the nicest thing to me. "While I was looking for you, I just kept looking for the impeccably-dressed women." That made my whole day, let me tell you!
I liked yesterday's outfit, both what I wore and then how I bundled up in my outerwear. It wasn't quite rain, but it was wet in the air and not quite freezing, so for the first time in a month I didn't have to wear my white puffer! It was nice to be able to switch it up.


The outfit: white Lands End turtleneck, navy Navajo-patterned oversize Gap cardigan (my $2 deal!), brown Target belt, gold J Crew Outlet locket, black Daisy Fuentes ponte skinnies, and black Vince Camuto boots. What I like about a look like this is that it is completely versatile, and appropriate for everything I did yesterday: my WW meeting and weigh-in, grocery shopping, clothes shopping downtown, drinks in a hotel bar, and then out to dinner with my husband. Didn't have to change a thing for any of it!

The outerwear also worked for the weather and the occasions. Black Anne Klein lined raincoat, grey Gap scarf (Hubby's), black Kangol hat, mustard Tignanello crossbody, and black Coach gloves.

I didn't find anything at Macys, but I did pick up an adorable Suzi Chin by Maggie Boutique dress at Nordstrom Rack, a turquoise (the color for this spring!) sheath with a pretty ruffled collar. I also found the perfect pocket-watch pendant necklace I have been wanting, at Urban Outfitters. Both pieces are going to be great additions to my wardrobe; look for them to be featured soon!
Today is raining and slow; I'm doing laundry and prepping some fruit and food for the week, but not much else. We're going to a minor league hockey game this afternoon at the Allstate Arena; it'll be casual attire all the way. Yay jeans! :)
Thanks for reminding me how beautiful the downtown store is - "my" Fields at Old Orchard has tanked since Macy's took it over - the grand dame of Chicago is still a great lady.
ReplyDeleteAnd also thanks for reminding me that I really covet a crossbody bag like that one. :-)
I love that Macy's. I went to school walking distance from Macy's and whenever I had long breaks I would go there and wander around. The food court is really yummy too. :)
ReplyDeleteThis outfit is making me realize that I really need a cross body bag! Yours looks so city chic with your coat.
Can't wait to see your new goodies!
Roberta, Old Orchard is "my" regular Fields too! Small world. I don't particularly like that one but their dress department is full of great finds. I have several gift cards from Christmas for Macys; I think I will wait until we go back for my birthday downtown to spend them.
ReplyDeleteMarianna, I adore that good court too! Before we got married, Hubby used to work across the street and he would go there everyday to look at the registry stuff. By the time I went with him and the salesclerk, he had already picked out all of our china, flatware, glasses, everything. LOL!
That Macy's is incredible! All the Macy's here in Tampa are really boring and generic.
ReplyDeleteWowza, that Macys looks awesome! I love the outfit, too. You look so cute in hats :)
ReplyDeleteWow, I want to visit YOUR Macy's! Ours are all BonMarche relics since Macy's bought them out. I'm actually not a big fan of either of my local Macy's - the service is quite poor compared to Nordstrom, one of them has kind of a snobby vibe (and proudly told me that they didn't carry the cheap lines), and the other one is frequently messy and disorganized.
ReplyDeleteI hear the Seattle flagship is better, but it's farther to get to for me.