The one in the store was too big, so she ordered it for me online. They were having a 30% off sale on top of it being on sale, so I ended up with a $250 jacket for $150. It arrived on Wednesday, and I acknowledged when I put it into a perfect outfit within minutes -- no raiding of the closet for an hour, a miracle! -- it was worth every penny.


What's amazing to me is that on my own I would never have tried it; the breast and the hip pockets alone should be all wrong. But there is something about the placement of them, and the quality of the cut and the fabric weight, which makes them work. I can't explain it, but I love them. Thank you, Cindy, for convincing me to give it a try! (Ask for her the next time you go to the Martin + Osa at Old Orchard; you can tell her I sent you. :))

Angie over at YLF has talked several times about statement pieces and finding one's signature style. I've struggled with the concept of a signature piece, usually because I've taken it to mean an accessory of some kind, and I don't have one particular accessory I think really defines my style or sets me apart as unique. (Especially since Shopping Friend and I have all the same Coach bags, LOL.) But I do think I have a signature style: polished, professional, confident, colorful, tailored and classic. The prep-school ethos runs deep in me still even if I don't wear my pearls with my sweatshirts anymore; I prefer clean lines and traditional looks over ruffly and romantic or studded and edgy. I like mature, but not old-lady; confident but not showy.
This jacket is a statement piece for me. It will go with almost everything I already own, dressed up or dressed down. It takes even the simplest pieces in my wardrobe -- in this case black Semantiks suit pants, a gold Lands End turtleneck, a black Target leather belt and my simplest black Franco Sarto heeled loafers -- and elevates them to a killer outfit. I knew it was a winner when not only did I receive random compliments walking down the halls from just about everyone, but the two guys I eat lunch with, the ones who talk about football, snowblowers and their kids constantly, both did a double-take when they saw me. LOL!


I can't wait to wear it with something else!
++++++
In unrelated news, Shopping Friend gave me 5 BAGS of unworn suits, skirts, jackets and pants. I have to try them all on for fit and length, but some are old favorites from Forth & Towne, and I will probably have them tailored if they are a little too big. We both sighed in nostalgic fondness when we saw them! I'll post photos of the keepers later today. YAYAYAYAYAY. Guess it pays off to lament one's lack of pants and skirts publicly. :)
I love the jacket! It looks amazing on you and you are so right about all the great outfits you'll be able to create with it. It won't take long for you to get your money's worth out of it.
ReplyDeleteThat jacket is to gorgeous for words and fits you like a glove.
ReplyDeleteI certainly can tell how you might consider it you signature piece.
You look wonderful.
That jacket looks fantastic on you! What a great find.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, it's like that jacket was made for you! Looks gorgeous, and I'm sure you will have a LOT of outfits that incorporate it.
ReplyDeleteYou are right--it's perfect! Very slimming and so versatile.
ReplyDeleteVery slimming and looks amazing on you. Great purchase for a quality piece!
ReplyDeleteKristen, thank you for wishing me happy birthday!
ReplyDeleteI agree with your assessment. You look polished (not fussy or stodgy, but just very put together) even in your casual clothes, and you do such a fantastic job of dressing your body in clean, flattering shapes at whatever weight and shape your body is in at a given moment.
Lovely, flattering jacket! I also usually count out pieces with hip pockets and bust pockets, but they don't seem to add bulk at all. The fabric looks beautiful, too.
Beautiful! I love the jacket so much. Martin and Osa is one of my favorites! That is going to be a workhorse for you!!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love that jacket on you! How perfect. So flattering!
ReplyDelete