Sunday, December 20, 2009

13-in-13 Challenge: Week 2 complete

Good Lord, this is embarrassing. I did even worse on week 2 than I did on week 1.

Let's review the goals:

1. LOSE WEIGHT.
I'm not gonna lie, I used the No-Weigh-In pass this week. It was a rough week: 3 holiday luncheon parties and my womantimes started up. I knew from my own daily weigh-ins the news was not good, but I just could not handle seeing it written down on my WW card. So I didn't.

I won't be able to attend a meeting next week as we'll be traveling so the next one won't be until around New Year's. But as I said at the meeting, this week was really the worst for me in terms of parties. Christmas will only be one meal, and I can survive that.

2. Eat one vegetable-based meal a day.
My mistake here was not preparing that spaghetti squash earlier in the week to have throughout. Too easy to have a sandwich for dinner after a big luncheon, and it showed.

3. Do at least 2 different types of exercise each week.
Um.

At least my running shoes came yesterday? And I took them out of the box today?

I've been thinking about this today, as I frantically worked on all the last of my Christmas preparations. New Year's is in 2 weeks, and I usually try to spend some time thinking about the achievements and failures of the previous year, and making goals for the upcoming one. Last year was a success: my goal was to lose weight, and I did. I'm not finished with that, obviously, so it's definitely something I will continue to work on.

But this year...this year, I really want to make exercise a regular part of my life. I tend to go in spurts; I run or swim or do yoga consistently for a few months, then it fades out for a month or two before my motivation kicks back up again. I'm in a lull right now, as much as I am trying to pretend I'm not. I need consistency, a regular routine. I like exercise, and I love what it does to my body; I like the definition in my arms, when my dupa gets firmer and less wide. I like feeling strong and healthy and invincible.

Consistent exercise is the goal for 2010. I'd like to be running 5Ks when it's 5K season again, so I think a do-over of the Couch to 5K plan is probably in order. Last time, I did it rather haphazardly, ending up finishing the 9-week plan in about 20 weeks. Adhering strictly to the 9-week length will be a great start at getting myself into a routine.

What's nice about making New Year's Resolutions early is that you can get a head-start on them. I'll be bringing my running shoes to Detroit this week!

4. Limit my sweets/dessert/treats to 3-4 per week.
I am going to be so happy when Christmas is over. That is all I am saying about that.

+++++++

On the good news front, I brought the last of our fat clothes to a donation place yesterday. I've given away some to friends and family, and I had already donated all of our coats to a charity drive they were doing at a friend's church. Between me and Hubby, we had 15 boxes of clothes that I brought to the Home of the Sparrow. Fifteen! Because I am going to write it off for taxes, I counted everything in the boxes. This was pretty much everything in our closets, under the bed, in storage boxes, all seasons. Going from 18-20 to 10-12 means a complete and total turnover in one's closet. Luckily, we were able to still fit in our shoes!

The tally, MEN'S version:
Dress pants = 17
Jeans = 13
Sweaters = 14
Button-down shirts = 15
Vests = 5
Casual shirts = 18
t-shirts = 45
short-sleeve polos = 29
turtlenecks = 3
shorts = 15

The tally, WOMEN'S version:
Suits = 2
Dress pants = 19
Skirts = 10
Jeans = 18 (many were hand-me-downs from friends over the last year)
shorts = 3
Capri pants = 7
short-sleeve t-shirts = 24
long-sleeve t-shirts = 25
turtlenecks = 5
long-sleeved sweaters = 34
short-sleeved sweaters = 17
dress tops = 16
button-down shirts = 21
tanks/camisoles = 41
workout tops = 6
workout pants = 9
shoes = 9 pairs
belts = 6
purses = 5
blazers = 7
dresses = 8

Plus 7 men's coats and 14 women's.
And the two boxes I sent to my sister, the two boxes I gave to friends, and the jumbo-sized two boxes Hubby gave to his brother.

Okay. We had a lot of clothes. Still do, just smaller sizes now!

++++++

Shopping Friend gave me 5 bags full of clothes that she was going to donate, thus bringing the circle 'round again. My closet is busting from the seams again, now with clothes in two sizes: what fits me now, and what I want to fit me in the next few months. I've already started a new type of donate pile; not just clothes that are too big, but things that just aren't going to work. It's tough work rebuilding a closet from scratch, and I've made plenty of mistakes along the way. In those bags that were donated yesterday were already some losers from purchases this year.

Heh, I should do a photo post of 'gone but not forgotten' pieces. Whaddya think?

3 comments:

  1. I've been going through the exactly the samething. I've been working on rebuilding my wardrobe after losing weight. I have lots of outfits but seem to missing quite a few staples, like a winter coat!

    I like the idea of showing photos of gone but not forgotten pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, don't post a gone but not forgotten showcase! Post about the fabulousness that was Forth & Towne...I sincerely miss that store and going thru the clothes that I gave to you made me miss it even more (sigh). I almost contemplated gaining the weight back to fit into the clothes, especially the skirts, the fun jackets & of course, the butter soft leather skirt (Talbots)...to.die.for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, I also found there were many unexpected pieces I had forgotten I needed; I remembered the winter coats but completely forgot about turtlenecks!

    SF, a Forth & Towne retrospective post is a GREAT idea! I have all those photos too, of the last days and the store itself, and a bunch of merchandise ones that Pat gave me. Hmmm, I will see what I can do... :)

    ReplyDelete