
I was remiss this week on posting about the 13-in-13 challenge. I don't want to do it, even now. I really am tired of discussing my failures in losing weight, in eating right, in blowing off exercise. I'm tired of feeling fat and ungainly and like a failure.
It's time to change. Coincidentally, it's also coming time for New Year's Resolutions. I love New Year's, when the year is fresh and new and full of promise. I like looking ahead, imagining the person I want to be when the year ends again, and setting goals to become that person. Last year, I made a commitment to lose weight, and I accomplished that. I lost a lot of weight, and changed the way I looked at myself and the way other people looked at me. I also began a long obsession with dresses, started this blog, ran a 5K, swam laps at my lovely little secret town pool, and joined the online fashion community. It was a really good year.
So, what do I want to accomplish this year? What person do I want to be when 2010 is over? I've got many dreams percolating, about finishing losing this weight, about maybe going back to school for process engineering, about finally getting a new haircut that I really like. But mostly I dream about being a runner.
I like running. I'm terrible at it, and I hate myself about halfway through and I want to quit/die/curl up on a ball on my couch, but I still like it. I like that's it just me and the path in front of me, no expensive equipment save a good pair of running shoes, a chance to tune in my iPod and shut out the world and run. I like what it does to my body, the way it firms up the flabby parts on my dupa and my hips, the way the deep breathing reminds me it's only been 5 years since I quit smoking, and I never thought I would be able to do that. I like wearing cute tops and shorts in the summer, and yoga pants and sweatshirts in the winter. I like running.
So that's the goal: to become a runner once and for all. I don't have dreams of a marathon or even a 10K, not quite yet. I want to run 5Ks, lots of them, all year long. I plan on signing up for as many of them as I can this summer and fall. Until then, I have started the Couch-to-5K plan again; it's been so long since I ran regularly I might as well start over from the beginning. This time I plan on completing it in 9 weeks, which will be just about when the 13-week challenge ends, just before my birthday. (Hey, maybe there is a St. Pat's 5K I can sign up for! I will check that out.)
I started Day 1, Week 1 this morning. It felt good, but no lie, it was hard. The indoor track at my park center has windows on three of the walls, and at 6am there's nothing to see except one's reflection in the glass. It was hard seeing that, seeing things jiggle that haven't jiggled for a while. Accepting that this is the same size body I was dragging around the same track last spring, that all the work and weight loss of the summer was gone and I had a lot of ground to cover again.
But that's okay; I've got my running shoes on, my iPod has some new playlists, and I am ready to go.
Ugh, I want to be a runner again myself. I've never been much of an athlete, or very fast, but I have had time periods when I've felt strong and certainly much healthier than I do now. I used to love trail running. It made me feel fast even when I wasn't.
ReplyDeleteI started C25K in November and was at the end of week 4 when I got really sick. I kept going through my initial symptoms but had to stop. That was about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Now I'm mostly better and trying to figure out if I need to start from scratch.
I'm also the heaviest I've ever been, ugh.
Some women I work with are doing Weight Watchers. I'm not totally sold, but I get it for free through work, and having coworkers who go should be a good motivator. So between that and, I hope, running again, I may start losing weight in 2010.
All this is to say: I so know how you feel. Good luck. I'll be cheering you on.
Yea for running!!! It feels so good every time you cross the finish line, no matter what length the race is. If you've done it once already, getting back in to the swing won't be hard at all. Everyone can be a runner! Have you ever read the Penguin Chronicles (or something like that)? It's about a guy who never thought he would be a runner either. You should read it! Keep up the great work because you know you can do it. I'm right there with you too. I've been slacking in my running lately too so I'm jumping back in the saddle. I'm sure you'll find a St. Paddy's race somewhere!!
ReplyDeleteI love running too. I'm working on strength training and running in a 5k for my new year resolutions.
ReplyDeleteYou need to change your mindset about your resolutions don't look at it as changing your faults but improving on your what is working for you.
That picture of you stretching by the big tree - great!
ReplyDeleteI'm inspired to really start a running program ... a minute at a time. I'll get there.
Great post!
I am with you! I LOVE running, but it's very hard for me! I had finally gotten into a good running habit when I suffered the string of stress fractures last spring, and now I am 2 weeks away from back surgery, so it will be a while yet before I get back to it. I look forward to following your journey, and anticipate it making me long for a good run myself. You can do it!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking about giving running another try in 2010 as well. I did a 5K once a few years ago, and I'd love to run one again.
ReplyDeleteGood for you! I have been sliding the last few weeks, and need to get back into some sort of fitness regimen. Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteI wish you the best of luck in your new endeavors!! I'm sure you'll meet and surpass your goals, as well as acheiving things you can't even imagine. I'm quite interested to see how the 13 in 13 challenge works out.
ReplyDeleteXx
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! Truth be told, I've wanted to run 5Ks for a few years now but I kept letting myself get distracted or not get in shape soon enough. This is going to be the year it happens.
ReplyDeleteAutumn Rose, that is a GREAT point about making resolutions to improve what is working. I'll keep that in mind as I continue making new resolutions.
You may feel bad, but you are completely gorgeous! Good luck with your running endeavors. I am soooo with you on your struggle right now. I think it's more of a struggle to do it 4 days a week than it was to do it every day. If you do it every day, you don't even think about it, you just do it. I need to get back to that.
ReplyDeleteKristen I know I'm commenting on an old post, but hey I'm still slowly catching up on blogs...this is how far behind I am.
ReplyDeleteHow is your running doing?
I hope to get my jogging mojo back soon too!!