Sunday, July 19, 2009

Weekly Goals: Diet, Exercise, and Fashion

Yesterday was a strange day, eating-wise. I started off just fine, grabbing a bar on my way to my WW meeting (down 3 pounds from the last weigh-in!), and then I was off to the farmer's market and grocery store where I stocked up on all kinds of good stuff for the week. I had a second bar on my travels, which kept me from buying any of the tempting baked goods at the farmer's market. I was being proactive!

Then I got home at lunchtime, and everything went downhill. I ate at Chipotle, drank beer all afternoon, ordered pizza for dinner, heck I even had ice cream before the day was through. Not one "real" piece of food crossed my lips all day. I'm not even sure why -- of course the alcohol turning off all my inhibitors and sense of responsibility was a huge factor -- but I don't know what prompted me to have the beer in the first place. Boredom maybe, or the freedom of having a day with no responsibilities, or...who knows? I don't particularly feel guilty about it; there was an impact on the scale of course, but nothing's permanent. I don't want to repeat it, though.

Anyway, it got me to look back at my Food Tracker (yay for journaling my food!), and I did notice that the days where I went more off the rails than others are usually the day that I start off with a MF bar instead of oatmeal or yogurt&berries. So this week's Diet Goal is to save the MF bars for mid-day meals, not as the first one of the morning.

I don't think the bar is to blame for my issues, but it's like I commented at my WW meeting yesterday: when I go on vacation, I make it a point to utilize the hotel gym or pool first thing in the morning. Even though I may have a walking-filled day ahead of me, getting in some serious exercise right at the start stimulates and motivates me to make better choices throughout the day. So if I start the day with a healthy, filling, WW-style breakfast, I will be more likely to think about the rest of my food through the day that way. Whereas eating a MF bar is just "2 points of fuel" for me, and the candy-like flavors tend to trigger junk food cravings in my lizard brain. They're great for a 3pm meal, but not in the morning, at least not for me right now. I've got to remember that.

My Exercise Goal is to again get in 5 days. I managed to up it by one more day this week, and I'm still frustrated by the cool weather keeping me from the pool, but I want to make this happen. I am loving running, and today I will be going on a long hike with friends. So that will be 4 days = 1 hiking, 3 of the Couch-to-5K program. What will be my 5th exercise? Hmmmm...ooooh, my niece is visiting this week, and I've been talking to Hubby about renting a kayak for myself while the two of them go fishing on his new boat. If we can't get to the pool, then kayaking it will be!

My Fashion Goal is three-fold:
1. I need to sort through my boxes of clothes in the basement, and rearrange them by size. I have a couple of friends who are looking for some particular sizes and I want to share what I have. Shopping Friend suggested a clothing swap with our friends; now I have to figure out who to invite!
2. Want to continue to rotate all the new summer pieces I've added lately, and continue to cull out anything that is just too big, or new and needs to be returned.
3. Now that I am out of the shoe department LOL, the shopping ban is back in place!

That's the plan for this week. I think I can stick to it.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for recognizing your triggers and making a plan to work around the triggers.

    Pick yourself up...dust yourself off and keep going. You're right...the change on the scale is not permanent.

    Drink up--water that is!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for getting back on track! I think maybe part of the reason for just letting loose may be related to being on a very restricted diet for many months...I know I've been feeling very deprived, which led to more intense binges, etc. So, now with the freedom to choose from anything, my urge to binge has gone away for now (no doubt it will resurface with emotional triggers, but at least the lack of food triggering the urge has gone). I've listed every last Medifast packet, bar, and snack on Ebay...there are too many other foods for me to enjoy to keep on eating the same stuff that I've been having for months. Anywho, love your fashion goals...too cute! Hope you are having a great day! ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome that you are getting such a solid exercise routine and for getting yourself back on track so soon. You're smart to recognize issues that can lead you to slip so you can avoid them! I hope to become so aware of my own fitness/eating pitfalls so I can create a routine that works.

    ReplyDelete