Wednesday, May 22, 2013

April Edits: Shoe Purge

Last month's edits were only a few clothing items, but lots and lots of shoes. Aiiiieeeeeee!!!

(Isn't it weird how attached we can get to our shoes? I have no problem ditching a blouse that doesn't work anymore or is torn or stained, but to let go of a pair of scuffed or tight shoes feels like abandoning my pets. My babies, noooooo!)

There were a couple of worn/stained items that got edited out:

IMG_6401

This Gap tee made it a couple of summers, but the white is dingy now and it's looking pretty beat up. Thanks for the memories, t-shirt!

IMG_6405

The Bobeau open cardigan in teal has been worn many, many, many times since its purchase a few years ago from Nordstrom. The blue is pretty faded and starting to pill. Its purple twin lives on, however.

Onto the shoes! I went through all the winter shoes, editing out those with the following criteria:
-too scuffed to repair
-unworn because the style no longer works with my outfits
-unworn because they just don't fit right
-too dated

IMG_6402

I always loved these Clarks wedge heels, although my husband and Shopping Friend never did. But I had to concede that my feet slid forward too much in them as the day progressed and by the end my toes were always sore and smushed. I need a good beige/chestnut wedge work-appropriate heel, but I can do better in comfort than this. Getting rid of these will force me to find a new pair.

IMG_6403

Please God, let these be the last Target shoes I EVER BUY. Target shoes are uncomfortable, no matter how cute they are. I wore these once, and then tried and rejected them every time after. Stop, Kristen. Just stop.

IMG_6404

And another pair of Target shoes that have outlived their usefulness. Okay, these are actually sort of comfortable -- but I also have them in red and they don't look as worn and dingy as the yellows. I wore those yesterday and they worked out very well!

Still, I am not buying any more Target shoes. Ever.

IMG_6406

The cruelest cut of them all. My amazingly perfect Sam Edelman leopard-print embellished flats. I tried so hard to ignore how worn out they were, but I couldn't turn a blind eye forever. See what I mean?

IMG_6407

IMG_6408

Farewell, my lovelies! Thank you for the years of comfort and easy style!

IMG_6409

I wasted a long time trying to make this pewter Anne Klein metallic loafers work, but the long toe just looked dowdy on my foot every time I put them on. These are another I had to get rid of to allow myself to find another silver-y metallic flat that works better.

IMG_6410

Worn out and crowding out the possibility of finding new black flats, these ribbon-candy leather flats from DSW also needed to go. The tips were tipping up on themselves. But boy they were cute!

IMG_6412

IMG_6413

These blue Sofft mary jane suede heels were so lovely, but a little tight around the toes, and they worked far better when I wore dresses all the time. I could never quite get them to work with my pants. Someone at Goodwill is going to score when they see these.

IMG_6414

These were also from my dress era; they seem like they should have transitioned with me to the pants era, but they always looked too chunky. Also the heels were kind of cheap and would spread out when I walked -- and as I got heavier, it felt more and more like the heel might actually go flying off. Time to go!

Shopping Friend might remember this next pair; they were the very first "heel" shoes she convinced me to buy. A whole inch of kitten heel, hahahaha!

IMG_6415

IMG_6416

The ultra-pointy-toe is much too dated, and the tips are way too scuffed for repair. But they were my gateway shoe into heels, and I will always remember them fondly for that.

IMG_6419

It was really, really hard to part with these Nicole Blessed shoes. The heel height was perfection, and they were crazy comfortable. Plus the colors never failed to make me smile. But I scuffed the hell out of the toes early on, and despite multiple trips to the shoe cobbler to try to buff back to shape, they were just ruined.

IMG_6420

I may try to find this brand and style again. I remember they came in other great color combos, even a neutral!

IMG_6417


Hahahahaha, RIGHT!! Did you think I would get rid of any of these Franco Sarto Deers? Not gonna happen for a few more seasons, my friends. If ever.

Anyway, this is what I am left with for three-season work-appropriate shoes. I did not include winter booties, which are put away until the fall, or my still-awesome summer sandal collection. My new job forbids wearing sandals to work, so it's the sad little shoe collection below that needs attention.

Wow, getting rid of all the ones above really makes me see how I have let my shoe collection get so boring and unmaintained these last few years. I went from Deers to sandals last year, and didn't replenish any of the basics. Now it shows...

IMG_6421

(George was helping out during this.)

IMG_6423

Wow. These are all ugly and dated.

IMG_6424

Better, but still needs some punching up.

Needs:
non-black heels
colorful flats
metallic flats
wedges for summer
nude pumps

So that's where my shopping efforts will lie in May and June. I did a number of summer/spring clothing purchases in April, so I am all set there. (That's the next post tomorrow._

When was the last time you took an honest inspection of your shoes?



9 comments:

  1. I just did a closet rearrangement/purge this past Sunday and included shoes this time: 36 pairs! For all the same reasons you did: didn't fit well, scuffed, worn, way out of style and a few because the heels have become too high for me to feel comfortable any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I review my shoes every 6 months when I change out my spring/summer wardrobe for my fall/winter clothes. It's hard to let go of old favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually said, "Nooooo!" out loud when I saw the Franco Sarto Deers. ;)

    I've never really had luck with shoes from Target, but I did pick up some sandals today and I'm hoping they'll be the exception, but I kind of doubt it.

    I also need to find some colorful flats, so if you find some good ones, I wanna see them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I was in your neck of the woods so that I could snag that pair of suede-y target wedges from your goodwill! I have a pair in grey that I ADORE-- sorry yours were uncomfortable :( I actually got mine in a swap, so I wonder if they weren't a little broken in first when I got them. Great job editing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I would like to be the lady who finds the Sofft at Goodwill :)

    Have a great holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I buy a pair of Target shoes in a style I think I absolutely have to have that I secretly suspect may not work for me. It's sick.

    I like those bronze flats, I hope they're staying.

    No sandals at work?! I wouldn't like that. I assume you're in another hospital where it's a safety issue they even apply to the IT gals?

    ReplyDelete
  7. After seeing the blue suede shoes on your blog a couple of years ago, I bought a pair! Someone will be happy to find those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's about 10 pairs! quite a lot ...
    I would have never known that your Sam Edelman animal print shoes were in such bad shape, because I could not tell !
    You know I have a hard time letting go of shoes too. I try to "save" them over and over by taking them to the cobbler, having them dyed, sewn, glued, repaired...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this idea of taking pix of the items whose end has come!

    ReplyDelete