Thursday, January 5, 2012

Family Calendar 2012

For the past five or so years I've been creating an annual calendar as a Christmas gift for my family. I send one to every household in my family, from parents to siblings to in-laws to cousins. As my cousin's kids have gotten older, I send one to them too. The rule of thumb is, if you live on your own, you get a calendar. All told, I make about 25 of these a year. Guess it's a good thing nuclear families are small now! :)

I use my own photography that I take throughout the year, of Chicago and places I visit and flowers and everything, and I include everyone's birthday's and anniversaries on it. I use iPhoto and Apple to create the calendar, so it's excellent quality, good heavy cardstock and easy shipping. But I won't lie, it's tough to create; I am a perennial Christmas-gift procrastinator, so even though I intend every year to start compiling the photos and layout in the fall, I usually don't start until December. One year I called them New Year's gifts, LOL.

At the beginning of this year, when we were all in Tucson for my aunt's funeral, my mom suggested that I use my cousin Beth's paintings as the artwork in next year's calendar. I loved the idea, my cousin loved the idea, and we all knew my aunt would have loved it. She had my calendar hanging in her home office every time I visited her. So Beth sent me photos of her paintings all year long. It was a rough year for all of us, but I would get this photos sporadically, when she was having bursts of creativity, and the bold colors and sunshine coming from every corner of the art would cheer me up.

This is what is hanging on all of our walls this year.

Cover art

Image

January

Image

February

Colorful Heart

March

Kate in color

April

Image

May

Moonlite Monsoon: acrylic on canvas

June

photo-7

July

photo-3

August

Sundown

September

Image 1

October

Blond with Pearls

November (3 on the page together)

Image Image 2Image 2



December (3 on the page together)

Image

Image

Century Plant


Thanks, Mom, for the idea.
Thanks, Beth, for the amazing artwork.
Thanks, Aunt Pat, for being the inspiration. We miss you and love you.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful.

    I didn't get my calendar! I AM your long lost sister, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is absolutely fabulous. How come cousin Shelley didn't get her calendar yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This should be published nationally! Her paintings are inspired (and inspiring).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making a calendar is SUCH a great idea, the best part is that YOU see that everyone like it so much, that they hang them up and use them !
    I think the paintings are beautiful, there is so much color - I am no an art expert but for some reason they remind me of Picasso.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! She could sell these, and what a special gift from you and her to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is fantastic artwork. You could sell those calendars!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's easy to create when you have such great material to work with. Kuddos to Beth, and to you!

    ReplyDelete