The front door has been replaced by a wooden plank because squatters are living there now. It's actually one of the "nicer" houses on the block. So to speak.
This is the house two doors down. It's pretty common to see burnt-out houses in this area. Many of them have no roofs.
In contrast, here is the swanky hotel room we stayed in at the MGM Grand Casino downtown.
Here is the lobby of our hotel.
The casino/hotel itself, though, is in the middle of nowhere even though it is right downtown. That's how erratic Detroit is; even the downtown has desolate sections and populated sections. We've stayed in other ones that were closer to other restaurants and stores, but this one wasn't. Once we got in, we stayed in. Which is okay, since there was plenty to do. :)
Of course, we weren't there very much since it was Christmas and we were in town to see family. Christmas Eve was at my brother-in-law's house, with his little daughter the center of attention all night. Boy, she is a cutie.
This is the night the whole family gets together and opens gifts, so the older niece and nephew (twins) first had to hand out gifts to everyone so we could stack up piles by our feet. Then we open one present at a time, going from youngest to oldest. That lasts for about an hour, then it becomes a free-for-all. LOL!
My littlest niece's pile. This wasn't even what Santa was bringing!
My older niece is 16, so she and her brother are just about at the age where they are too cool for any of this. He was pretty quiet most of the night, but but she's not quite there yet; I was still able to get her to goof off with me!
As you can imagine, my eating was terrible. I brought clementines with me so my mornings started out well with some fruit and toast, but after that it was catch as catch can. There were salads and some microwaved veggies, but the starch to veggie ratio was about 6:1. I did, however, manage to avoid eating these mashed potatoes.
I was less strong in the face of smoked kielbasa, honey-baked ham, dinner rolls, cheesy potatoes (a family treat), two-corn casserole, and of course, Christmas cookies. Ah well, this week while I am home is going to be a bounty of daily cooking, so I'll be back on track soon enough!
My favorite gift is the Kindle Touch my husband got me, and the gift certificates for books from the rest of the family. I already downloaded and read my first book. I love it!
I had gotten out of the habit of reading these last few years, and I realize now how much I missed it. I plan on filling this puppy up, with beloved favorites and new books.
What was your favorite gift this year?
Don't you just love the ereader? I got a Kobo (Canadian kindle) and I love it! I'm on my 3rd book since Christmas day!
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't say staying downtown by the casinos is totally unheard of anymore - I know plenty of people who have done it. And it's not quite as scary as it used to be, even since when I was growing up around there. I've always thought the severe difference between poverty and wealth around there is so odd - Oakland County used to be one of the wealthiest in the nation (not sure if that's still the case), and it bordered all the burnt up, abandoned houses from Devil's Night.
ReplyDeleteI got a Kindle fire and LOVE it, and I downloaded that book too! I'm switching back and forth between that and a book written by one of the bloggers I read.
Ooh, I want to read that book - did you love it? I don't have Kindle (or reader) but I bet they are nice, especially to not have to hold a heavy hardback while reading in bed.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a fun Christmas. My favorite gift was my biking Barbie doll. Seriously!
I (still) LOVE Detroit!!!!!...Like any American city (Chicago, SF, NYC) it has problems of proverty and urban blight...BUT...it is diverse, interesting, lovable and worthy of the reinvention that I predict will come...
ReplyDeleteShow the wealth that is the Motor City...the Points, Oakland county etc...wealth and class are there...
I got season 1 of the show "Modern Family." Apologies to anyone who finds it offensive; it had me laughing almost from the start. We watched the first disc on Christmas and now I'm rationing out the episodes to make it last longer.
ReplyDeleteThe good thing about going out for Christmas is when you go home all those goodies aren't there! I did what I could, sending the Chocolate Peppermint Bark home with my guests and kids. We finished off the last of the peppermint ice cream yesterday. It's OK to have some treats but it's not OK to turn it into a year-long indulgence.