Saturday, November 19, 2011

Thanksgiving Thinky Thoughts

The older I get, the more I realize Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year.

It combines so many things I love, the biggest being the warm memories of my family, especially my aunts. As a kid I used to go to my Auntie Barbara's the night before and help her make pies and prepare everything for the next day. I was more of a nuisance than a help, but it was a chance for me and her and my Uncle A. to spend time together and build inside jokes between us. It was a nice annual tradition; my Aunt Barbara died over ten years ago, but I think about her every year at this time. Then for years we went to my Aunt Rose's, where a few hours after we all pushed away from the table groaning we were happily making bacon-turkey-stuffing sandwiches in her kitchen (a tradition still carried on by her daughter, and by me). Last year, of course, I got to go to Arizona to see my Aunt Pat before she passed away, and we had a great visit and a wonderful dinner.

That's the second I love about Thanksgiving: the food. Fall foods are my favorites of any season, and to have them all together, squash and Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes and apples, is way more appetizing to me than picnic food at the Fourth of July. I spend weeks poring over recipes, figuring out oven and timing space, debating if I want to stick with the traditional or try something new.

The third thing I like about it is the cooking. For nearly all of my life, I have been a guest at someone else's house for Thanksgiving; Christmas was the holiday that my parents hosted, so for Thanksgiving we went to my Aunt Barbara's or my Aunt Rose's. After I got married, my husband and I were expected to spend it with his family or mine, and since they all live out of town, we traveled to them, and I sat at my sister's or my mother-in-law's tables and enjoyed their traditions. It wasn't until about 5 years ago that we suddenly got a break from the travel and were able to stay home, and we decided to have some friends over and celebrate on our own.

Once I made my first Thanksgiving dinner, all by myself, I was hooked. For the first time ever, *I* got to decide what went in the stuffing, which vegetables to serve, what time I wanted to eat. I got to pick and choose from all the wonderful traditions and meals I have been served by others over the years that I wanted to keep for MY traditions. And most of all, I got to cook. I came late in life to the cooking game, but it turns out I'm actually pretty good at it. And I learned how while doing Core on WW, so I worked with raw, natural foods and very few ready-made items.

That comes across in the grocery shopping that I did yesterday for next week's meal (beating the crowds over the weekend!):



You will notice there is no creamed soups, no crispy onions, no marshmallows. I wouldn't even know what to do with those; at my Aunt Pat's last year, my cousin asked me to make green bean casserole, and I literally no idea how to do it! My veggies are always roasted, sauteed, or steamed, and I use olive oil and different herbs and spices to season them. My cornbread-sausage stuffing is sinful, and usually my mashed potatoes are too, but a Weight Watcher eater will have no problem finding plenty to eat at my table. So don't worry, Mom! :)



I am only feeding 4 people, but my parents will be staying for the weekend so we'll be eating leftovers too. I got an 8-pound turkey breast, and plenty of chicken broth for turkey-roasted veggie soup. I'm also making an apple-crumble pie from a WW recipe, per my Mom's request.




Of course, there is bacon and bread for sandwiches, too. Probably the best Thanksgiving tradition of all!

I started prepping already; this morning I made fresh cranberry sauce, and the cornbread for the stuffing. They both came out great!





(Ignore the thumbprint in the cornbread, LOL. It's going to be stuffing, no one will see it.)

Tomorrow I will bake cinnamon streusel quick bread; it was an impulse buy from the Target portion of my grocery extravaganza. Tuesday night I am making the pie, and Wednesday night will be the stuffing. That leaves Thursday morning for the turkey, roasted veggies and sweet potatoes, and mashed potatoes, and gravy. Pacing it out will make it much easier; there have been a couple of times I tried to do it all on Thursday, and by the end of the day every pot and pan in my house had been used. Won't make that mistake again!

OH!!! I forgot to mention the best part of this year's holiday; not only am I hosting my parents and they are staying for the weekend, my father is bringing Brussels sprouts from his garden. Can you even imagine anything better? I can't. Home-grown Brussels sprouts!! That is worth giving thanks.


10 comments:

  1. Oh, just reading this makes me wistful for Thanksgiving at your dinnner table again...the turkey, the cornbread stuffing & I don't remember what else it was that I loved so much but I remember demanding to take some leftovers home. Almost had to wrestle R for them! You'll do great, and your parents are going to love every last bite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went shopping today. I have to confess that I bought a frozen pie and will serve it with sinful ice cream that I will go buy on Wednesday so I don't eat it all myself before then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Thanksgiving too. It's a very "homey" holiday.

    My supermarket was a zoo today and I need to go back tomorrow and finish up. Have a Happy T day.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was working on the menu today. I think my plate would be full of goodies at your table. I prefer veggies to be in a more natural state myself. I do make a green bean casserole type dish, but it is with fresh green beans and a homemade sauce w/ white wine, dry sherry, real mushrooms...fan tastic.

    Good girl for shopping early!

    Dad's brussel sprouts..mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    Did you say what you do with the cranberries?

    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am feeling so guilty, I haven't bought a thing-but in my defense my twin 17 yr olds birthday is Nov 23, friend party tomorrow and fam party on the 23. Do I get a pass on being late?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I called whole foods austin and handed it all over to them.

    Im a misfit :)

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that's a haul from the grocery store! Your meal sounds like it will be so good. Mine? Good, but my family cries if they don't get their traditional foods like the sweet potatoes/marshmallows (which I don't like) or the green bean casserole. I guess it's my penance, since I raised them on this stuff...not their fault if Mom changed how she eats, right? Oh well, it's just one meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love roasted vegetables and your menu sounds really great. It's fun to hear how people in different parts of the country do Thanksgiving.
    My family here on the west coast has a tradition of Thanksgiving dinnner with turkey, a white bread dressing, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with those tiny marshmallows, fruit salad, greenbean casserole, rolls and butter, jellied cranberry sauce, and always lot's of olives-black and green, and a pumpkin pie with real whipped cream and some other sort of fruit pie. Too much salt and fats, but hey it's a special day.
    In my mother's day of making the big meal it included celery stuffed with peanut butter and a pickle tray. I had to drop those off the menu because there is just too much food.
    Ofcourse there has to be leftovers to share with everyone too, and turkey sandwhiches and eating leftovers is a big part of Thanksgiving.
    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all sounds wonderful Kristen and I am jealous of your fresh brussels sprouts! My family does a cornbread stuffing as well and it's probably my very favorite thing on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The older I get the more I love Thanksgiving as well. I appreciate the time with family, the food, the opportunity to reflect on all the things I'm thankful for, and most of all, no pressure to buy anyone anything! ;)

    ReplyDelete