Most brides have dreams about their weddings; for us, it was the groom who did. He organized the whole thing. Keep in mind, 15 years ago was before the internet. We had to go to each hotel to get their catering package, had to book everything via phone and got our recommendation word of mouth. Heck, our pictures are from before the digital era; we thought we were getting such a deal when the photographer gave us the negatives along with the prints. Negatives!
My husband designed and created the lovely invitations; it opened like a book, and the invitation was sitting inside.
Getting ready for the wedding was a blast; two of my best college girlfriends flew out to help me, my parents, and my sisters at the house. My hairdresser Chuck came and did my hair and makeup. Man, I miss Chuck.
Me and my sister K. She was my matron of honor. Isn't her hair so pretty? And BIG. Boy, 1996 was still an era of Very Big Hair.
Getting me into my dress was a multi-person affair.
Me and my Dad. Sniffle.
Then it was time to leave for the wedding. We rented a trolley to bring us everywhere all day. It was pretty cool seeing passersby's amazed looks of me in my dress in the back.
Hubby and his best friend, our Best Man, anxiously awaited my arrival.
I remember when my dad and I were waiting in the foyer, some random visitor started to open the giant door behind us so they could come into the church. I spun on them and gritted through my teeth, "Not now." My dad could not stop laughing as they slunk back out the door. FEAR THE BRIDE.
Then we were off!
Then we got married.
Then there were lots of pictures in the church. It was a lovely church. Hubby and I goofed around a bit on the altar, waiting between pictures. We didn't know until the photographer gave us the shots that she had captured this moment. It's sort of still the way we are.
The reception was a blur. I think everyone had fun. I do remember dancing (and crying) with my dad...
...and throwing the bouquet. The only little girl at the wedding caught it. (She is in her mid-twenties now. OMG.)
Fifteen years. It's just amazing to me. I can't imagine my life with anyone else.
And he's still my best friend.
Beautiful! And how much to I LOVE your husband's socks! Perfect.
ReplyDeleteAWWWWWWWWW! So sweet. You guys were cute right from the beginning!
ReplyDeleteAwwww beautiful wedding, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteAhh, that it so lovely. Happy anniversary!
ReplyDeleteAwwwww, happy anniversary!
ReplyDeleteWhat a good looking couple. This has been a very fun blog post. Thanks for sharing. Your dress is so pretty. Can you tell us what it is made of? Do I see embroidery? It's really pretty and unique. Sort of has raglan sleeves?
ReplyDeleteThe trolley is such a cute addition to the day.
Ooooooo, that was so sweet to read! I love it and really enjoyed the pictures!
ReplyDeleteawww, you guys are really cute together!
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary! Did you get married at St. Ben's? Or do all older, Chicago churches (assuming you got married here) kind of look alike to me?
ReplyDeleteThis was such a fun post! I can't get over how long ago the 90's feel just looking at these pictures. Neither of you look all that different now, but wow was it a different time (example, the size of your sister's hair!). My favorite detail - your husband's socks!
That is awesome - love the pictures! I wore a vintage wedding dress as well...and in March it will be 15 years for me as well.
ReplyDeleteHere's to marrying your best friend! :) Congratulations!