Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Another new thing

Welcome to my bedroom:



That's all the peek you get for now; the cleaning ladies showed up early so I couldn't do my morning photo outdoors. But the room was a mess so I kept the shot tight. No need to see my unmade bed, LOL! (Yes, those are all my necklaces hanging on the wall; keeping them out like that makes finding the right one to wear with the outfit so easy. Still looking for a good solution for the bracelets...)

Anyway, this is the new denim jacket in its inaugural wearing. Hard to believe it's Old Navy, isn't it? The cut is more sophisticated than what they usually do; the collarless neck is going to look GREAT with scarves. I had one on, but it's not that cool yet to wear a jacket and a scarf.




My hair was flatter by the end of the day, but I wanted to go out anyways and get some shots in natural light. It took me a while to figure out how to style this; I had the dress, the jacket and the shoes, but once I bailed on the (dove grey) scarf, it was a struggle to find the right balance for the colors. Eventually I swapped out the white cami for a brown one, and that brought out more of the earthier brown tones of the dress instead of the lighter grey and lilac ones. After that, this gold beaded necklace was a given. I got it on sale at Nordstrom right before NAS and it's so versatile! The beads are on some kind of stretchy fabric, so it can be knotted, twisted, double-looped, etc. This time I knotted it low so it matched the placement of the knot on the dress.





I am starting to comb through my dresses and figure out which ones are going to transition nicely into layering dresses in the fall. This one will, for sure -- and will probably look much better with leggings or tights. I still wish this dress was a smidge shorter, and that issue won't be as apparent when my legs aren't bare.

That said, I really liked this outfit. I've noticed I am wearing a lot more edgy pieces lately; maybe my time with Laura65 is starting to rub off on me! :)





+++++++

I had to look back: it has been a week since the last time I tracked my food. Wow, that went fast. A whole week?!

I won't go backwards and recount everything, but I will say that I spent several days trying to be bad, and ending up eating corn on the cob or light popcorn or spaghetti squash. Yesterday I finally managed to do it "right", and had a frozen pepperoni pizza. And veggie soup.

What I am finding interesting is that it took a bit to adjust to the idea that I haven't been "cheating", per se; I have good days and bad days, and days when I am hungrier than others. I can eat more on those days, or have more carb-based veggies on those days (thus the entire spaghetti squash the same day I had waffles and a sandwich), and it's okay. The next day I'll have berries and yogurt, and corn and grilled chicken. And a glass or wine (or two).

The long-range view is what matters. Learning how to pick my head up to see that far out is the challenge. I'm working on it. And the scale is too; slowly but surely I am going down. Not big enough numbers to notice yet, but the upward trajectory is over, and the downward slide has begun.

Daily Food Tracker: Tuesday
Breakfast: frozen pancakes with syrup
Lunch: caesar salad with parmesan-crusted chicken
Snack: choc chip cookie
Dinner: homemade steak fajitas with green peppers, onions and mushrooms, whole wheat tortillas and fat-free refried beans, skim milk
Snack: popsicle



7 comments:

  1. No surprise that I love this outfit! What a great denim jacket. Not only is the collar fab for scarves, but the wash is perfection. Nice score, my edgy friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new jacket looks really cute with your dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just loving your new stuff! And boy oh boy should I copy your necklace display. Maybe then I'd stop wearing the same pieces over and over.

    Interesting about your food. Do you realize that is exactly how children eat if left to their own devices. Any mom will tell you that one day the ony thing their baby will eat is green beans and then the next day all they want is bananas. I think we often force ourselves to eat certain things and yet if we would instead control portions and look at the big picture we'd find our diet had balanced itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my necklaces hanging in my closet - it does help to choose, but I think I need to get another hanger as mine are all piled up. I'd love to see a close up shot of your necklace system!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that jacket. I need one in my life stat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you say you wish this dress was a smidge shorter? I think it would be more sophisticated a smidge longer.
    I love the new jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA, nice catch, San. I meant to say that I wished it were LONGER. Oooops!

    ReplyDelete