Saturday, June 18, 2011

30 DoC: Day 18

Today is a quiet day at my sister's, mostly just babysitting her while she recovers from arthroscopic knee surgery. She's dozing on and off this afternoon, and so am I, so I thought now was as good a time as any to do a "what I packed" post.

This was a short trip, only 4 days, but the forecast said it was going to range from 60 to 85 with rain some days and sun on others. Plus I knew I would be in a plane, which is always cooler than in regular places. Lastly, while it was for a casual trip taking care of various family members, I wanted to wear and enjoy some of the new summer clothes I bought.

I brought:

2 pairs of shorts in tan and brown, and 2 pairs of jeans (one faded longs and the other dark rinse for flats). I could have been fine with one of each, but I really wanted to wear both pairs of jeans this weekend, and the dark ones have a tendency to stretch after one wearing. I'm not going to lie; I just really really wanted to wear the faded jeans this weekend. I love them so much!
Weekend tally so far: brown shorts could have stayed home, everything else has been worn at least once (tan shorts have been twice, faded jeans will be twice after tomorrow).


6 tops. In fairness, the white in the middle was included so I could pass it on to my sister. This is usually where I like the most variety, and tend to overpack.
Weekend tally so far: I ended up wearing two tops on Thursday, so by tomorrow all will have been worn.


3 sweater/jackets: olive knit cropped Gap jacket, blue cropped Gap cardigan, grey asymmetrical Marshall sweater. Each one was added in case of the cooler weather range, and their color schemes took each of the tops in different directions, so after dithering while I was packing on Thursday, I reminded myself how cold I was a month ago on the same trip, and included them all.
Weekend tally so far: the grey sweater has been worn with my pajamas every morning but the other two have done unworn so far. I would still bring them on a different trip. You never know in Connecticut!


Accessories:
-coral scarf, multi-weave clutch, silver bracelets
-necklaces galore (I can never decide so I always take waaaaay too many)
-orange tall wedges, mustard Keens and grey Privos (the talls had to come to go with the faded jeans, the other two because they're awesome.)

Everything fit with plenty of room to spare in a weekender bag (the soft over-shoulder ones, not the rolling suitcases. So much easier to deal with in this day of tiny planes/overhead bins and fees for checking bags.

I also put outfits together as possibilities, and compared it to the final result.

This was what I wore on the plane on Thursday (plus the orange wedges).



This was ready in case the airport AC was set to chilly, but there wasn't a need.



It was hot when I got to my parents, so I changed into something cooler and more sporty:




Friday I wanted a funkier look.


I ended up switching out the necklace to a matching stone one, ditching the sweater and adding the yellow sandals and clutch.



Like I said, today has been a slow day just bumming around the house with my sister.



About the same, minus the blue sweater (may be added back tonight when I head back to my parents for dinner on the patio.)



Based on what's left, I think tomorrow will be the remaining unworn cream top, faded jeans, orange wedges, and a funky necklace. The blue cardigan will at the top of the bag just in case. Let's see if that comes to pass!

Ooops, my sister is up, time to go!

3 comments:

  1. If it fit in the weekend bag and you didn't have to run out and buy something essential once you arrived I think you chalk it up as a success.

    I like the clutch purse. Did you also have a shoulder bag for the trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really neat post - I like seeing what you packed and what you ended up wearing. Plus the clothes look different all folded up vs. on your body - you come up with great combos. :)

    Hope your sister is feeling good after her surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're definitely the Master Packer! Great planning--down to the accessories. You were prepared for anything.

    ReplyDelete