Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Investment Pieces are Full of Baloney

I had to continue on with my impromptu Stripes Challenge. I could probably do a week of Polka Dots, and Florals. Anyone want to see how long I can go? :)



This is one of Target's new styles for 2011, and I love it beyond reason. My friend Jessie bought the striped version in oatmeal heather, and she is working it with some great bright greens, but I love the navy and grey stripes. (And this blue polka-dot, and I have this bright jade one on back-order. Taylor, you are not the only one who likes her duplicates!) They had it even more colors on the website, but they have been going fast. With good reason; the drape and shape of these things are stunning, the colors and patterns are fun, and they are going to be drop-dead perfect in the summer when it is sticky and gross and the thought of a layer makes me want to weep.

And they are $20. What's not to love?



I don't usually list out the cost of my outfits. I love a good deal -- this particular outfit cost me less than $50 altogether -- but I'm not a thrift shopper. My favorite outfits are the ones that mix up high-end and low-end pieces, and I don't have a problem paying money for something I like, or in the case of my ball outfit, that I need. To me, the price is only one factor of many that makes me buy the clothes I do.

But one thing I try never to kid myself about is calling something "an investment piece". That gorgeous purse I bought for the ball? It's not an investment piece; sure, it will become to go-to purse I use for fancy parties, but that's not an investment in anything. It has always grated on me when I hear that phrase in terms of clothes, but I've not really been able to articulate what about it irritated me. So I appreciated reading today's blog post about what investment pieces really are over at get Rich Slowly. Yes, that.

This is how I feel: if you're going to spend money on an item you want and can afford, then spend it and enjoy your pretty new item. Get lots of use out of it, and don't feel guilty. If you can afford it, if you've got your bills paid and your savings squared away and some money tucked away for a charity, then get the shoes, dress, purse, jewelry, that you want. Don't try to hide it behind the "investment piece" curtain. Wear it loud and proud!

And when you get a good deal, crow about that too! Like this one: the awesome Target Merona dress, Target Merona red cutout flats (on sale at the store!), denim leggings from Vera Wang at Kohls, cement grey Old Navy long sleeved layering top. Even the necklace was on sale at LOFT about 3 years ago.



Yay!

In unrelated news, here is the new sweater I wore on Tuesday and didn't get a picture of. Even the Gap Outlet is on fire this year! Such a yummy grey and rich royal purple.

9 comments:

  1. I really love that dress, and it looks great with the gray top underneath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome dress on you, Kirsten! I love the stripes.

    Good article - I totally agree! Although if you thrift something cheap enough you can often consign it for more than what you paid for...now that's an investment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a pricy trench coat three years ago...I wear it for everything and get compliments every time I wear it...It has for want of a better descriptor become an 'investment piece'...I bought it, wear it and don't have to buy other trenches or light coats to replace it...Probably will wear it for many years to come...JMO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, I understand and appreciate buying a coat of great quality that lasts for years, but to me, that isn't an investment. You're not going to sell it in a few years and make a profit, and it won't be something you count among your assets when you retire. It's just a term that is used too loosely in the fashion world, I think. And a lot of people use it as an excuse to buy something expensive.
    In your case, the value of your trench has become apparent over the years, but I still hesitate calling it an investment. I bought 4-5 Coach bags a few years ago, and I use at least one of them almost every day. If I ever do sell them, I won't get what I paid for them. That's not an investment, that's a loss. But I will have had many years of enjoyment and function from them, and that's what I paid for.
    Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you on "investment pieces!"

    It's a marketing strategy to get you to spend more.

    Technically speaking, when you invest in something you expect it to appreciate in value. With some exceptions (there are always exceptions!) clothing depreciates over time.

    A related but more useful concept is the cost per wearing. The expensive trench that you love and goes everywhere may well turn out to have cost less per wearing than a less expensive coat you didn't adore and wore half as much.

    The issue with cost per wear is that you have to be realistic about your time frame. Many things will go out of style or you'll change sizes before you wear them enough to justify a much more expensive item. I've found that five years is the maximum time I'll wear something regularly.

    My feeling is, if you like it enough then buy it. Just don't confuse it with something that will be worth more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dress, Kristin. I would have probably walked past it, not realizing how great it would look on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I never thought about layering under the dress! I usually just pair mine with a cardigan on top. I almost bought the blue one the other day too, so yeah, we do have a few similar pieces :)

    I've really been loving the Gap Outlet lately too! They just emailed me a 30% off coupon for this Saturday, when I'll happen to be passing by an outlet mall. It's like fate that I should stop there.... and buy more clothes to match you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sitting here reading this with my mouth open. YESTERDAY I ordered the polka dot dress in both the blue and brown, and the jade green dress and a hot pink side tab style that will be arriving in a couple of weeks. I'd been looking for some cute, inexpensive dress for work and was frustrated because my local Target does not get a very good selection. Last night, after yet another frustrating stop at the store I remembered that you mentioned you order from the online store so I hopped on and voila! We are going to be dress twins lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey-yo, was scoping out the blue and white dotty dress online the other night. But of course if I commit to it I will have to commit to another in a different pattern because as you pointed out I LOVE MY MULTIPLES! Loooooving the stripey cardi!

    ReplyDelete