Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Nordstrom Giveth and Nordstrom Taketh Away

A ball gown update is coming soon (the ball itself is Saturday night, eeee!) but I wanted to talk about some of the other hits and misses I have found at Nordstrom.

First off, the BP shoes and the gold-and-black Tasha hardcase evening bag are total perfection, and are what I am wearing with my dress to the ball. So, so lovely. Even Hubby gave the thumbs-up to both.

BUT. Can we talk about their plus-size department? It's so hit-or-miss. I don't get it.

HIT: Foxcroft no-iron three-quarter-sleeve button-down shirt


Who doesn't love a crisp white button-down for spring? I used to love the ones from Forth & Towne. These are an excellent replacement, but even better they are no-iron. It comes in several other colors (YELLOW!!!!) and is more fitted than it looks on the model.

HIT (ALTHOUGH YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW IT FROM THE PHOTO):


Jessie was not impressed with this jacket when I grabbed it from the rack. but then I paired it with that crisp white button-down with the collar popped up, and BAM! perfect for spring. The pink is so much pinker in the tweed than in the photo. Jessie then remarked to the saleswoman that it had looked so different on the hanger, and the woman -- an "Encore" shopper herself -- smiled and said, "We are so much better than hangers."

Ma'am, Nordstrom needs to hire you for their Encore marketing department immediately. You are awesome.

Not awesome: the horrendous styling for this jacket in the next picture. Seriously, this photo is enough to make me wait until the jacket goes on sale. No one will buy it when the model looks like this:


MISS. Big, big MISS.

Also a MISS: all the plus-size pants.

pants

Every single one are highwaters. WTF? What about this page is even remotely appealing? Seriously, drawstring pants are the second ones listed? There are another pair of them in turquoise further down the page. They're fricking exercise pants, not dress pants. Thanks, Nordstrom, for making me feel like I should just give up now.

The biggest MISS of them all: Skirts. This is their entire online collection of plus-size skirts.

skirts

Were you looking for a cute, colorful skirt for spring? Unless you play tennis (??) or are living on a commune where long khaki cargo skirts are all the rage, don't bother shopping at Nordstrom. Pretty skirts like this Halogen knit seamed skirt in green or pink are not for us Encore ladies.

But all hope is not lost!


NYDJ has a nice, crisp, straight-leg trouser jean. I really want to try these.

Oh, Nordstrom, why do you toy with me like this?

3 comments:

  1. At least you've got the Gap for pants!

    I love those no-iron shirts. They are worth the price. Sometimes they turn up at Nordstrom Rack, but never in my size or the right color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I owned a Foxcroft shirt like that white one for years - it was a blue and white pinstripe. Loved it, always felt good when I wore it. Hmmm, now I want a crisp white shirt!

    I love NYDJ - tried on a pair last summer and was amazed at how good they looked. Can't get beyond the price tag yet - maybe someday. Agree with you that the bottoms in Nordstroms are very disappointing. Who is their shopper? Major fail.

    ReplyDelete