My closet feels a bit schizophrenic these days. I feel like I have three types of outfits:
-business casual, for work days sitting at my desk churning out reports and emails, and generally solving the problems of the universe. I want to be comfortable, but also a little trendy, on these days.
-business formal, for work days at meetings with executives, nuns (I am not kidding), and assorted people at higher levels than me. I need to be conservative, polished, and professional on those days.
-casual, for weekends and the rare vacation. I consider these my "play clothes", like what we would get changed into after school to go play. I'm not a grubby t-shirt gal, so this is usually jeans and a sweater and cute top, and either a scarf or necklace.
Angie at YLF calls these "capsules", which is a great way to think about it. Maybe that's what my problem is: I recently stocked up on business casual and casual -- those ribbed layering tops, a fabulous pair of Gap Long & Lean jeans, etc -- and as much as I have tried to get new tops for my business formal capsule, I am still struggling with dressing myself on meeting days.
Part of it is I am hesitant to invest in a real suit when I am at this weight. It seems dumb, since I have turned over my entire closet to buy enough pants, tops and sweaters, but there is something about buying a suit that seems so final, like I have officially stopped trying to lose weight. Even buying the ball gown (post and pictures coming soon!) didn't have the same impact, even though the cost of it was equal to a suit. I think because the gown will only be worn once, so I convinced myself it was a temporary, necessary purchase.
Anyway, in lieu of a suit, I have two tweed jackets that I am using with my Gap pants for business formal, and I rotate a couple of tops with them. But it doesn't seem like enough, and since I see the same people in these meetings I feel like I need to have more than two jackets. I long for a solid, dark jacket to wear with my patterned tops, but a solid jacket means it must match the fabric of the pants, and that means suit.
Damn you, Talbots. Why did you stop making suits? They had the best ones, with lots of non-black options, and skirts and pants to match.
Plus, nice tops to wear under jackets, that aren't just boring shells and/or cost a fortune and/or come in my size? Soooo hard to find!
Do any of you have the same struggle? I feel like I am caught between two work-clothing options, where it's not completely business casual or business formal, but a bit of both. It's tough to navigate!
I can relate so much to this...I have recently been working on recognizing the importance of dressing the body I have for emotional health.
ReplyDeleteThis is the perfect time of year to buy suits being end of season. Macys is having amazing suit sales and coupons this week.
If you find one transitional suit, you can mix it up with different pieces you already have such as twinsets, different shells with accessories like silk scarves, or mixing the jacket with a skirt you already have.
My mom just went through this as she went from a business casual job to interviewing. It was so hard to put money in to a suit just for interviews so she wore that suit as many ways as she could : )
Kirsten,
ReplyDeleteYou can buy a solid jacket that goes with some of your tops and then find a pair of slacks with a very subtle pattern (like a small pinstripe) or tweed. Then it looks all pull together, but it's still not a suit. The way I accomplish this is to take my tops and jackets with me when I go shopping. I tell the salesgals my clothes need to "find new friends" and, often, they are happy to help.
I agree with buying just one jacket and making that your formal topper, and with breaking up a suit for lots of alternate looks.
ReplyDeleteBUT, have you considered going the consignment route? I ALWAYS see wonderful suits in quality fabrics (in your size, never mine, grumble grumble) when I go consignment shopping. The prices are usually around $30-60 at the most! I would suggest Googling "consignment stores" in your city and then search them out one weekend. It's certainly less of an investment for a temporary state of your body! :)
I have a similar struggle, but not with a suit. I can't get myself to invest in the premium denim everyone keeps telling me I need because I just don't want to spend that kind of money until I lose the weight. It would feel like I'm giving up and accepting the size I'm currently wearing to shell out that kind of dough, and maybe a tiny part of me would want to keep the weight on just to make sure I get enough wear out of those premium jeans.
ReplyDeletePerhaps you could view the suit as a needed investment for now and still something you can consign later when it's no longer needed.
Are dresses an option or not formal enough? You always wear your dresses so well.
About the suit - a well made suit is fairly easy to alter. I had a suit custom-made (for about $400) about six years ago, and have had it let out and taken twice. It's not trendy enough to look dated, and you can jazz it up easily with blouses, sweaters, jewelry, etc.
ReplyDeleteIn other words, it is an investment, but a flexible one. My awesome tailor does a worldwide "road trip", measures you and helps you choose fabric, and then a lovely suit arrives at your doorstep a few weeks later. http://www.moonriverbyvj.com/index.php
But any well-made suit can be altered - they're made that way! (this has been a big men's secret for years)
I had the same problem when I was practicing law and had to wear conservative suits every day. I had some luck buying nice suits on eBay. It helps to ask the seller for measurements of the bust, waist, etc., rather than just going by size. Some of the Worthington line from Penney's are also nice but inexpensive. But if you can find a well-made suit that makes you feel great right now instead of waiting until you've lost weight, I'd go for that rather than settling for something inexpensive. You can always have it taken in later.
ReplyDeleteOT: which formal dress did you end up getting?
ReplyDelete