Wednesday, December 8, 2010

30 in 30 Challenge: Full Retrospective

I did the halfway mark, but I really want to see all 30 together. Small photos, at least!

Days 1-30:











DSC03813DSC03824

DSC03833







WHEW.

I won't do a whole count here, but I did tally how many times I wore each item. What astonished me was how evenly I really did wear similar items. The four pairs of shoes got about the wearings I assumed: the cheetah flats and black booties tied for the most (once the weather cooled I went from flats to boots), and the clogs and Pikilinos were more specific-outfit driven. The pants rotated pretty well, although if I had any skirts that fit I could have swapped out the micro-tweed pants or Gap black skinnies and not have missed them. But the tops and sweaters really surprised me: everything got 3-5 wearings except the gold ruffled blouse, the long grey H&M open cardigan, and the Old Navy grey zippered moto vest. Those only got 1-2 wearings apiece. I did not realize that at all; it felt like I was wearing those all the time! Maybe I just kept trying them on but they rarely worked in a final outfit.

What I liked about this challenge:

1. I really liked being able to dress quickly each morning. Unless it was a morning where nothing was working that was clean (which was rare), it took me half the usual time to get ready.
2. The timing was perfect because I started MF at the same time, so it stopped me from shopping for things I don't need, and it let me measure my success on the diet with the fit of my clothes. I actually can see some changes through the month of photos.
2a. Especially with my hair! LOL! God, why do I let it get so grown out? I love it shorter and darker. Someone remind me when it starts to come due for a color and cut, please!
3. Packing for Tuscon was a breeze.
4. My credit card bill will be really low for last month. :)

What I disliked:
1. I was bored by Day 3. I like variety, and I don't think having a big closet is a terrible thing. My creativity and love for colors felt stifled.
2. I should have picked more shoes and less sweaters.
3. I wish I had fit into some of my dresses and skirts because the occasional change-up in silhouette would have been very much appreciated.
4. The LOFT polka-dot blouse is frayed beyond repair, the melon BR cardigan is pilled very badly, and the white button-down tuxedo tunic has a huge hole at the seam. I have never worn out clothes before, mainly because I don't wear them as frequently in a short period of time as I did here. Hmm, I should think about that.
5. Next time I will spend much more time picking my items and putting them in trial outfits. I threw things together the Sunday before it started, then ended up swapping in and out unworn items for the first two weeks until I had cycled through all of it.

I will confess that I started back up my shopping over the weekend, while I was still on days 27 and 28. But it was close enough to the end that I really didn't care if it was breaking the rules; I wanted to get some items that were on big sale, and I wasn't going to have any time to do any shopping during the week once the challenge was over.

All that being said, I think I *would* do a 30-in-30 Challenge again, depending on the time of year and where I am with my weight loss and job and stuff. I definitely liked having 30 items instead of other challenges which are much stricter in number; in comparison those are no fun at all. This was a great idea, and the allowance of accessories and coats made this do-able as the weather chilled and froze.

Thanks, Kensie, for the idea and for organizing this!

8 comments:

  1. Nicely done, Kristen! It's amazing how similar yet different the outfits are. Glad you get to broaden your horizons now. I bet you're wearing a dress or skirt tomorrow!

    xx Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mixing up the colors is what made you have the most variety. The basics serve as the canvas. Great project but now enjoy the rest of your great wardrobe! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think, if you do this challenge again, you should do the Kristen version: 40 for 30. Somehow I get the feeling that with just 10 more items (tops, skirts, and one more pair of shoes) you would have been much happier.

    Also, I think it's really neat that you got a chance to wear a few items until they were literally falling apart. This will give a new aspect to new purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing all your outfits together - so much colour! It's great that you incorporated so much into your 30 for 30.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, fellow remixer, Im one of the few guys in the challenge.. Im slowly getting around to visiting all of the remixers' blogs. I've come across a lot, but you most definitely have style… xo

    http://thedebonairextraordinaire.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can print your post off and refer to it on days when you can't figure out what to wear! I could understand if you didn't wear black pants for awhile after this.

    I was going to say that I liked your new highlights, or are they lowlights?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristen.. well, I am excited to say I am follower 115!! I wear the badge proudly :) I love your photo montage.. I tried doing it that way but couldnt get the photos to line up on blogger.. so frustrating.. so had to do it otherwise and they are tiny! waaaa.. LOL

    about your outfits.. you have so many great colors in your mix, and nice classic style.. looking really great. And I got bored at the point when I thought I had already finished my 30 but then realized I miscounted by 2 days. I had a big mind gap when I had to come up with the last 2 outfits and all I wanted to do was reach for some old comfy standby sweater... anyway, it was a great opportunity and I will for sure do it again!! will be back to visit you soon!!! Congrats.. you did a FAB job!!

    cheers, Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great being able to see all your outfits. I think it's your wonderful use of color that made it work so well. Looking at your photos helped me realize something some of my outfits were lacking. You used good contrast in color or shade between your tops and your layering items. In inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete