Friday, October 29, 2010

Moving Forward

Wow, thank you all so much for the thoughtful replies to yesterday's post! Everyone gave me a lot to think about. It's funny, I almost edited it to include this postscript:

P.S. Not to worry, while I am asking for your feedback, the truth is I am going to do whatever the hell it is I want to do. :) But I want to know your thoughts anyway!

Because it's true: while I was and am interested in your perspectives, I know very well this is my blog to use as I see fit. For a while yesterday, I worried that if I changed my stance not just on diet-blogging but on Medifast itself (which long-time readers will remember I have had a rocky relationship with), that it would somehow negate my previous opinions. Then I realized people and circumstances change all the time, and so do opinions. What was good for me six months or a year ago isn't the same as what is good for me now. I have the extra pounds to prove it!

So my plan is to gear up on MF again, mainly to get the first 30 or so pounds gone. My husband will be doing a version of it with me; he doesn't need to do the daytime foods as he still eats similar small meals (soups and granola bars) at work, but he is just as eager for the Lean & Green dinners as I am. As he put it oh-so-bluntly, he doesn't have as much to lose as I do. (NICE.) But true; he lost 75+ pounds on MF when we did it in 2009, and he has maybe gained 20 of it back. Having him doing it with me will make life much easier at dinnertime; we are each other's worst enablers when it comes to pizza-ordering time!

I want to record for posterity why I am doing this, and why I chose the fast route for at least the first part:

1. I don't want to buy new winter coats.

All my coats from last year are larges, since I was in the middle weight range in the winter. I don't mind buying pants and tops, but coats are expensive and I hate all the 1X sized ones I have tried on. If I can shave off some belly fat over the next couple of months maybe I can avoid having to buy new ones.'

2. My 25th high-school reunion is in May 2011.

I definitely do not want to look like this then, so I better start now. I see a lot of my old friends on FB, and I am looking forward for the face-to-face reunions. But with a smaller dupa!

3. I really miss my dresses and my shoes.

DSC_7269

I have 3 storage closets full of all the clothes from last year in a huge variety of sizes. I would like to Shop My Closets again! As much as I like wearing pants right now, the skinny ones especially, I miss my dresses so much.

Even worse is my shoe dilemma: All my shoes work with my dresses, not my pants! It kills me every morning when I am picking my shoes.

DSC_4513
(Last year's collection. A few are gone now, and a few have been added.)

MISS. THEM. SO. MUCH.

+++++

So there you have it. Sure, no more chowing down on antacids would be great, and feeling healthier and fit is important, yadda yadda yadda, and I am sure I will be getting a lecture from my doctor at my annual next week. But the things that are prompting me to do this NOW are all about my vanity. It's likely as I start to have success the healthier benefits of this will gain in importance, but right now they're not on my list. My shoes are on my list.

I mean, you guys have seen my shoes: wouldn't you do the same if you were me? ;-D

9 comments:

  1. I am behind you 100%!

    What does your doctor say about Medifast? I would be curious. My doc gave me the "weight gain after 40" talk last month at my annual. She told me to go to 1200 calories a day for six weeks to shave off the 5 pounds I've slowly put on since turning 40. And then she hit me with what was the harshest reality: I probably only need about 1400-1500 a day to maintain. In other words, I literally can't eat the way I used to and expect to maintain my weight.

    Your reunion is a great goal to shoot for - you will wow them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone. I have a GAWJUS! White Wool Winter Coat that the Mr. bought for me Christmas 2008 when I was at my smallest. It's fitted so I've gotta be a size 8, period. It's my goal to get back into that coat before winter is over. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen,
    I support your efforts! I lost 35 pounds with MF and it was a game changer for me. I've maintained my new weight for almost 3 years. I wish I could say I started for "health" but it was really vanity--I was so tired of feeling fat and was fearful of gaining any more weight! But I definitely maintain for health. Never thought I'd break my addiction to mac & cheese! And it's become easy for me; I'm a bit amazed actually. I look forward to reading about your experience and supporting you the best as can, as it seems we've chosen the same methods. Please keep posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you, you're awesome! I just totally dig your honesty and unabashed vanity when it's REAL, you sound just like me in my head and probably almost every women out there!

    We like to pretend losing weight is only about being healthy... it's crap. We all know that the number one reason we want to lose weight is to LOOK better! Feeling better is an added bonus.

    So HERE HERE! Thanks for being honest!!

    (BTW, why won't those shoes work with pants?? They look like they would, unless the heels are too high so that you don't have PPL for any of them.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know where you're at. I have put on 10 lbs since I was at my skinniest in summer '09 and I can not let it get any further out of hand or suddenly all of my clothes won't fit. That means that I have to just about make monitoring my food intake and getting out for daily walks into a second full time job. Gotta do it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is not a thing wrong with vanity!

    Truthfully you're not likely to experience the ill effects of overweight, except for the tummy thing, for years.

    But you'll see yourself in the mirror everyday starting with today.

    We'll be rooting you on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If your husband is willing to be your MF partner, you'd be nuts to pass up that support. Usually, that's half the battle. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen, I missed yesterday's post, so I am just catching up.
    I know how much you love your shoes and dresses so I say go forth. You have much invested. I also think you should continue to blog about your weight loss..it is therapeutic to put your feelings into words AND we are great cheerleaders!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristen, I decided to stop smoking because I didn't want premature wrinkles. I mean, I didn't really want the health issues, but my main concern was with looks. Sometimes vanity is a fine enough reason if it gets you to do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete