Five years ago, I hated fashion.
I hated getting dressed, I never cared about being trendy or flattering, I wore the same damned pair of black loafers every single day. I was stuck in the same styles (oversized tops and sensible pants) that I had been wearing since the 90s, and I didn't care.
Four years ago, I got a job at Forth & Towne, mostly to get the discount. I had been shopping there a lot because they were one of the few stores in the mall that carried size 18 in the store itself, and my salesperson recommended that I apply. It was kind of hilarious, in retrospect; I didn't know anything about putting outfits together, I had no idea what was in or out (hadn't read a fashion magazine in decades), and I absolutely positively could not wear high heels. I tried a pair on at the store one night and nearly fell over.
Three years ago, by the time Forth & Towne closed, I had become friends with Shopping Friend (my boss at the store) and she took me under her wing and took me shopping. She explained how pieces worked together, how great good shoes could be and how they could add polish to an outfit, and she helped me see how things fit or didn't fit for the first time. It was a revelation, to say the least. At first I only shopped with her, but then since my closet was so sad I started to head out on my own to figure out what worked best for me.
Since then, I have made major changes in my style. I started with Shopping Friend with lots of button downs and shells over them (ha, remember that look, SF? I wore a million variations of that when I first got started), then finally I broke out of that uniform and tried new things. Skirts became a big favorite. Then I found YLF and really began to see the variety available, but since I tend to like to wear one type of look all the time, I started a dress obsession. For the last year I bought, oh, at least 60 or more dresses. A ridiculous amount, but I was also losing and then gaining weight, and I wore them through all 4 seasons. I also amassed an impressive collection of shoes. High heeled shoes. And let's not forget all my boyfriend cardigans!
Now, I am coming back full circle. This fall, I am craving pants, and mix-n-match tops and sweaters, and sensible shoes. My high heeled shooties and dressier heels are waiting patiently for their turn, but for some reason I am dreaming about clogs, and flat oxfords, and rough-style engineer boots. I even bought a pair of pretty pewter loafers, for God's sake. LOAFERS!!
I was fighting these urges for a bit, mainly because I was afraid I was 'giving up' on fashion and looking nice and reverting back to my stodgy self, but I am starting to think that maybe this time I should see it as a challenge. See if I can wear the same pieces I used to wear when I was dowdy and boring, but this time make them interesting and stylish. Maybe I've just been looking at from the wrong angle. Maybe I'm not wanting to wear pants again because I am fat again and don't care how I look anymore, maybe I'm doing it because I am following trends, and pants are the hot trend.
What about you guys? Do you change up your style when you feel the need, or do you stick with the tried-and-true?
Love hearing about your style evolution. I am sure the loafers/pants/button-down combo you are wearing these days is light years from where you started. I do change up my style, too. And sometimes all it takes is one killer piece, you know?
ReplyDeleteWow, I didn't realize that discovering your style was such a recent thing for you, or that you are still discovering how to work with fashion! I am even in more awe of you, Kristen! That's a huge thing to work out!
ReplyDeleteI change my style up frequently. I crave different looks and never like to repeat an outfit. I've been like that since I was in high school, when my mom told me I could wear whatever I wanted, as long as I changed it up.
I'm so excited to see your evolution and experimentation! Go for it! :)
PS - you're not fat, hon. Stay healthy, eat well, and be kind to yourself, please.
I went through a similar forced evolution when I moved to Chicago from Akron (sheesh) in the 80s, and compounding this natal handicap by working at the Museum of Contemporary Art, where the staff were either/both equipped with trust funds and tremendous fashion sense. I resorted to Talbot's since the stuff went on sale regularly and lasted forever. Looking back, I see I consigned myself to looking pretty Mumsy through what were potentially the cutest years of my life.
ReplyDeleteanyhoo, this year I'm breaking that habit. And it has been tough, because their clothes are still really well made, fit me well, and I live five minutes from an outlet store. Nonetheless - I'm shopping at Loft, BR and Anthropologie (and the eBay versions) from now on.
Sometimes a change will really do you good, as Sheryl Crow says.
Love hearing about your style evolution - you give me hope that someday I will understand this whole "clothes" thing! My style is definitely changing as I discover what works for me...trying out new things is something that I'm challenging myself with, even if the clothes don't leave the dressing room...at least I'm seeing if they might work, which is a big change from my usual outright dismissal.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. You know, it never fails that just when I figure out the "rules" for a particular era and how to adjust it to my style, everything changes.
ReplyDeleteOkay, I've had some pretty nice Stuart Weitzman loafers over the years and I've never felt like they were dumpy. I get positive comments on them. Just remember, a loafer is not always just a loafer. Sometimes it's a fashion punctuation point.
Shopping Friend sounds like such a wonderful person to know. That has to be fun to have someone who has known you and had an influence on your style throughout so many changes!
ReplyDeleteKristen, maybe it's simply that you have proved to yourself that you look fabulous in dresses and skirts, and are now ready to feel just as stylish and wonderful in pants. I look forward to seeing your inspiration through dress pants, too. I'd love to try mine again when they fit again...
I'm not sure that my style has changed very much. I'm still drawn to classic outfits and am not very adventurous, but I guess I am a bit more creative with colors than I used to be.
I definitely change up my style every so often. I find myself wearing bright colors for long periods of happiness. Lately with all the weight gain, hard work, and uncertainty of pregnancy, all I want to wear are black and gray. Right now I'm in a pants trend big time. But for the previous few years I was constantly on the hunt for skirts and dresses.
ReplyDeleteAlso, flat boots? Really? Never thought I would do them before the end of last winter. This fall I am totally into them.
I don't know, I think humans are very mutable. Even though I generally consider myself to be a pretty stable person, I still respond to my environment, and my environment does change. Not just seasons, but people I interact with, jobs, and hobbies. It's probably healthy. This is how we keep from getting old!
Hi Kristen, thanks for explaining your personal style evolution. Also thankyou for telling us who Shopping Friend is.
ReplyDeleteI am feeling a syle evolution too. Mine has alot to do with discovering jewelry and how it can change the mood or interest of a very casual, or simple outfit. Yesterday I wore jeans, dark grey OTK SW boots from NAS. (These are all secret codes) A silk men's wear shirt, and put on some recently purchased Alexis Bittar jewelry. The jewelry is gunmetal color which makes it casual enough to wear with the aforementioned outfit or to dress up a simple, sleek wool shift dress. My style evolution is telling me that it's ok to dress in jeans for the most part because of my casual life, but I can have alot of fun by mixing up the boots, tunics, belts, bags, and cool jewelry.
Thanks for bringing up the topic Kristen.
P.S. saje is aka san. Could you tell it was?
ReplyDelete