Thursday, October 15, 2009

Stuff I Want: Fall Edition

No clothes post today, as I spent the day at home, shuffling from reclining chair to doctor's office. The good news is they prescribed some excellent muscle relaxants which have quelled the spasms. It's likely I will be well enough to go to work tomorrow, although I will be bringing my ice pack. :)

Anyway, I thought today was a good time to mention I've finally put myself on a clothes budget. I've replenished my closet at my new size with all the basics -- although winter coats are still a major hole I need to fill ASAP -- but most of what I am looking at now are wants rather than the needs. So I've got no more excuses for the crazy spree I've been on since I started losing weight. :) Thus, a budget; the number is still extremely generous and realistic, but it's much less than what I've been spending. That should be making me a bit choosier in theory, although I've still been doing my usual buy-3-items-return-2-the-next-day the few times I have shopped this month.

So far I've bought:
-an eggplant puffer vest from Eddie Bauer outlet
-chocolate brown long cardigan from Eddie Bauer outlet
-black thick cabled cardigan from BR outlet
-grey faux-sheep-lined casual hoodie from Target

I am also returning the turquoise corduroy Halogen blazer from NAS and the Michael Kors open-toed bronze stilettos; the blazer is too stiff and just hasn't looked right in any outfit I've tried, and the shoes are simply too high. I had them on for about 5 minutes -- the time that my back started to hurt -- but they were just too much. I love heels, but those have bested me. Good thing I have so many others to get me through the winter. ;-D

Here are some of things I am considering getting with my budget this month:

1. The Invisibelt. I have tons of belts, but sometimes I need one that can be hidden away. Sal from Already Pretty mentioned a few months ago that it was great at pushing back those little edges that stick out at my jeans button, and I've been contemplating it ever since. Anyone have one? Do you like it or is it like the Thighmaster of accessories?

2. Tights. I am loving all my patterned tights that I got at NAS, and I scooped up a bunch more at Kohls a few weeks ago. Unfortunately a few of them have already snagged or been torn so I need to keep up my supply, and I would like to get a few more sheer pairs while I am at it. Kari had great things to say about the DKNY Comfort Luxe Tights, and the grey and brown are both calling my name. These Woven Rush ones from Anthropologie are pretty gorgeous too.

3. You guys, did you know Avon sells clothes? Really cute clothes too! I am eyeing this pretty multi-colored wrinkled scarf, this fabulous wool tote, and this cool convertible cardigan.



4. Speaking of cardigans, isn't this one from Ann Taylor LOFT delicious? Creme isn't really a good color for me, so...ALAS.

4. LOFT does have a couple of gorgeous jackets right now, like this tweed ruffle jacket and this motorcycle sweater jacket. But the truth is, I need big, heavy, warm, WINTER COATS now, not sweet little fall things like these.

5. Barking Dog Shoes had a favorable review for these luscious Sofft Orioles. OMG, in chianti!! They're just stunning. But they're suede, and I swore no more suede winter shoes. But...they're sooooooo pretty!



I am dead.

6. I am a longtime user of NARS Orgasm blush, but I can't stop staring at this gorgeous Laura Geller baked blush. Hmmm, in apricot?



7. This hand-knit purple cable hat will look great with all my coats this winter. Apparently, knit berets are very on trend this winter, but none of those look half as interesting as this one.



8. The rest of all my links are for winter coats. I'm thinking I'm going to need a warm puffer and a dressy long coat, something like this and this. Oooh, the cobalt lady coats at J Crew are gone now, but I am liking either the dark poppy or the wild blackberry. I don't have the balls to get the sea salt white, but I am considering white for the puffer. I had a white short puffer for the last couple of years, and I loved it. Eddie Bauer Outlet is having their annual down sale and the long puffer I had in black last year is available in white. I am taking Hubby to look at it with me on Saturday. I thought it was pretty darned cute, but I want his opinion before I got for it.

Of this, I will probably get the coats, maybe the Avon stuff, and the blush. And probably a bunch more cardigans and turtlenecks and long-sleeved layering tops; I forgot I don't have many of those anymore.

9 comments:

  1. OMG how have I not seen that moto sweater at LOFT??? I MUST have that... it's my perfect style right now. A little classic, and little edge.... *dies*

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, lucky you! gorgeous pink coat... everything sounds lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that bag from Avon is amazing! I had no idea they had things that nice. As for the invisibelt, I LOVE it!! I could not live without mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, I'm totally off to Ann Taylor to try on that cardigan with my 20% off coupon!

    The DKNY tights are the ONLY pantyhose I wear and I buy them whenever I find them, knowing that someday they will disappear completely. BareNecessities.com has them in wild colors (I'm Miss Neutral) too! I wish they came in sheers.

    Do you ever clothes shop on Ebay? I've had very good luck there - perfect for a librarian's salary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in Ann Taylor Loft yesterday and did not spy that cardigan. It is calling my name. So gorgeous. I am also loving that wrap cardigan from Avon. I didn't realize they had cute clothes like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU! I forgot about Sara Ramirez. I LOVE her style! THANKS THANKS THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kendra, be patient and there will be a sale soon enough. LOFT always has terrific sales.

    Roberta, the sweater is from LOFT, not the regular Ann Taylor. Hope your coupon works there too! Thanks for the tip on the DKNY tights; I will keep my eye out for them!

    TracyH, I've been seeing links to Avon for a while now, but I haven't ordered anything yet. That sweater is tempting me, though!

    P4F, you're welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been craving those Sofft shoes since I saw them too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diana, I found them in blue! They arrived today and are FABULOUS. I will be wearing them in a photo post this week for sure.

    ReplyDelete