Saturday, October 3, 2009

Capsule Wardrobe Challenge RECAP

Here are the outfits for the week all together:

DSC_4286DSC_4307DSC_4313DSC_4330DSC_4333

What Day worked the best?
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
  
pollcode.com free polls


10 Items worn:

1. brown Kohls corduroy blazer (worn Monday only)
2. black ATL knit pocket dress (worn Monday, Thursday)
3. black reversible neck Talbots top, both low and high neck style (worn Monday, Wednesday, Thursday)
4. aubergine AT sheath (worn Tuesday, Friday)
5. purple-brown-black patterned Connections dress (worn Wednesday)
6. purple silk-cotton AT boyfriend cardigan (worn Tuesday, Wednesday)
7. mustard yoked Halogen cardigan (worn Thursday, Friday)
8. brown Kenneth Cole leather jacket (worn Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday)
9. brown Franco Sarto back-zip riding boots (worn Monday, Tuesday)
10. black Vince Camuto cowboy/wingtip boots (worn Wednesday, Thursday, Friday)

The 5 Accessories:
1. red-ivory cabbage rose J Crew scarf (worn Monday)
2. 3-in-1 multi-stone necklace, worn long and choker style (worn Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday)
3. muddy black-purple reversible skinny belt, only worn muddy black (worn Tuesday, Thursday)
4. maroon-mustard cotton paisley scarf (worn Thursday)
5. plum-brown Coach bag (worn every day)

Here is the jacket and bag, which were worn daily.
DSC_4284DSC_4315

What Did I Learn:

-I need to prepare better for weather changes. I swapped out flats, a camisole, the cotton dress, and a grey sweater to fit in a jacket, more boots, the longer-sleeved knit dress and a long-sleeved top once the temperature dropped 20 degrees.

-Trying on accessories with pre-planned outfits is a must. I swapped out the light scarf and the mustard belt I thought I was going with when I realized they didn't work with the rest of the outfit.

-Multi-use or reversible items saved me. I loved the flexibility of them; knowing I could change the look of the outfit with a flip of the belt helped me feel less trapped by my choices.

-And I did feel *trapped* by the limitations! Every morning, I would look longingly at the rest of my closet, and I felt stifled creatively by only being able to wear from the challenge set. I did not expect that strong a reaction.

-I needed to better pre-plan the schedule of the tops and the bottoms. I scheduled the dress wearings so they worked out evenly through the week, but I ended up wearing two sweaters two days in a row. If I had worn Friday (aubergine sheath and mustard sweater) on Tuesday instead, it would have been more even.

-Doing an all-dress week was easier than I thought it would be. Because I had to lose one sweater for the leather jacket, I lost some of the versatility of the tops, but I think I managed to make the dresses look different with each wearing. Certainly no one at work noticed I was wearing the same ones twice in a week!

-I kind of feel like I cheated a bit by using so many different tights and hose each day, because they definitely changed the feel of the outfit. On the other hand, I deliberately stuck with the same glasses all week, instead of using the 4 pairs I have as accessories like I usually do.

All in all, I liked this challenge; it forced me to get creative with what I had in front of me, which got easier as the week progressed. I don't think I could do it every week, but I probably will participate again next season, just to keep myself challenged. I might even try some pants or skirts then!

Thank you so much to Jane at The Small Fabric of My Life for coming up with this challenge, and a great job to all the participants I was following, (many of whom I have now added to my blog roll, thanks to meeting them through the challenge): Fashion Junkie, Sheila, Bella, Shiny, Make Do Style, Dawn, Chewy Spaghetti, Lorena, Kasmira, Kari, Audi, B/C Changeover

Now I have to go check out the other links Jane had on her blog, to see who else I missed! :)

6 comments:

  1. Kristen, you week was just fabulous! I love the colorful cardigans and printed scarves and how they changed the vibe out the outfits so much. And you created so many different looks using dresses and boots all weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just LOVE that mustard cardi with the great details on it. So, I think my fave was the day you wore it with the scarf. SO pretty! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did such a great job. i LOVE mustard and purple together, although i never manage to get over my personal ban on yellow... terrific choices all week but i must agree with your gasping coworkers- the printed dress and cardi was to die for. i hope you don't mind if i steal the idea for the multiple-option jewelry... i had been approached to make a similar custom piece long ago on etsy and have been thinking about it already... so cool...

    ReplyDelete
  4. you did a great job! I love them all!

    I felt the same anxiety in the morning. I dress to my mood! So throughout the day I didn't feel quite right. but I tell ya, my laundry basket and quarter jar are thanking me at this very moment lol.

    hehe I should do things like this more often. I don't mean limit myself to 10 items in a week, but remix and rematch items and use my creativity more. It did force some interesting outfits out of me that never would have appeared before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great job you have done trough the whole week.
    You have a nice wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kari, thanks! You did pretty great with your week and use of colors too. And you chose some tricky dresses and jackets to use; brava!

    Bianca, I was so glad to have found that mustard sweater at NAS. It's added so much to my wardrobe already this fall.

    TTS, I hope you do make some multi-use jewelry for your Etsy shop. I got mine at Banana Republic, and I am astonished at how versatile the piece is!

    Meli, I put myself on a clothing budget starting this month, and it's pushing me to really use and remix more of what is already in my closet. Instead of just buying clothes by the armful (which I needed), I am trying to figure out what holes I have in my closet and fill those in accorindgly.

    Nursmisur, awwww you are so sweet! I've been rebuilding my closet so I'm glad it's been getting some notice.

    ReplyDelete