For those of you just reading this journal for the first time, I've lost 50-60 pounds since January of this year. I say a range because I've been sliding up and down the scale for a couple of months now, losing at peak 60 pounds. I need to lose a total of 65 to be at goal (I started at 225 at Christmas, which was my highest weight).
Losing these last 10 pounds have been tough. I've tried a lot of different mental adjustments and strategies to keep myself committed and on-track: switching from Medifast to Weight Watchers, starting a fairly steady exercise regimen, taking up C25K running, experimenting with kayaking, joining the town pool for swimming laps, putting myself on a short-lived shopping ban, bringing MF bars with me on vacations, etc. Some of these things have turned into new habits -- the new fun exercises in particular -- but still, the scale has gone up more than it is gone down. At peak last week, I was 12 pounds from goal -- and when I ended Medifast, I was 2. Now, I knew I would gain once I left MF, and I was prepared mentally to deal with that. But I thought it would be instantaneous, a quick big jump up as I re-introduced carbs and real food back into my diet. I wasn't prepared for this roller-coaster up and down and up and up.
And I can't really blame WW or eating real food as the problem here: the problem is my inconsistent commitment. Some days I count points, most days I don't. My days of exercise per week range from 0-7. I haven't even attended WW meetings every week!
I need to put the building blocks back in place, and leave them there; let them settle in and become true habits. It's said in WW that people who attend meetings for 16 weeks have the most success; they are the ones who truly commit to the plan and who lose the weight and usually keep it off. And really, it's creating new habits that gives us our weight-loss success, not what we eat; anyone can starve themselves for a week or two and drop a couple of pounds. A successful loser makes deeper changes to their eating habits. That's what I need to do, again. I managed to create new eating habits on six months of Medifast, and they have still kept me in good stead: I eat small meals through the day, I cut out skim milk and too much sweetener in my coffee in the morning, I never miss breakfast, I don't eat nearly as much starch as I used to, I added exercise as a desired and regular part of my life, etc.
Now I need to create more new habits for this phase. For the next 16 weeks, I hereby commit to:
1. Attend WW meetings every week without skipping any. If I cannot make my Saturday 8am meeting, I will make plans to attend the Thursday night one.
2. Exercise 4 days a week minimum. That 5th day is a mental stumbling block for me; if I can't get it in, I get 'all or nothing' in my thinking and I end up doing NO exercise. Four days per week I can do without any mental games.
3. Count my points in my Tracker. I know from vast experience keeping myself accountable is how I lose weight. Plus, I am anal-retentive and I like using the Tracker. It's so cute and organized! There are ticky boxes! I love ticky boxes!
4. Cut back on the alcohol to 1-2 drinks a week. I like my nightly beer on the porch with Hubby too much; I have to remember I like my size 8 skirts better. *grins*
That's it. I will of course keep going on the good habits I have established, and within the confines of the four commitments above I will continue eating good foods and trying to stay on plan as best I can, but really, the goal here is to build the habits. The weight loss will follow; it won't have a choice.
So in a total Bridget Jones move, here are my current weight stats:
Started at: 225
Today's weight: 167.2
Total loss: 57.8
Weekly loss: -4.4 (Water weight. The losses after this won't be this big again.)
++++++
I want to note this observation while I am talking about all of this, as a reminder for keeping myself motivated if I start to flag: for my body, the difference between 160 and 170 pounds is the difference between looking skinny and looking chubby. As my weight has crept back up around 170, I've been shocked and embarrassed at the way it's changed my shape: my belly is round and flabby and isn't easily held in place with a slim skirt, my extra chin reappeared, my hands look puffy, there's a little extra flab of back fat starting to take shape. I've never really noticed how 10 measly pounds alters me before, but I definitely do not like it. I much, MUCH prefer my body at 160; I feel slender at that weight, and I don't have to waste my time dressing to hide parts of my body. Everything just fits as it should.
I know all of the above sounds incredibly narcissistic and self-obsessed, but honestly it is a revelation to me. I've never noticed these changes in such small increments before; the last time I gained (all the) weight back, I knew I was going up, I immediately hated myself and my body, but I just closed my eyes and ignored it and let it happen. Seeing it, making note of it, coming up with a plan to confront it will, I hope, stop that process in its tracks.
My eyes are wide open this time, and they plan on staying that way.
De-lurking to say that I am really enjoying your new blog. I'm also a lurker over at YLF, haven't joined yet.
ReplyDeleteIn any case, your weight loss progress is inspirational - and I'm looking forward to seeing you succeed on your new '16 Week Challenge.' I don't think it'll take 16 weeeks to lose 10-12 pounds, but I still think the 16 week commitment is an excellent idea. Don't know anything about Medifast, but am thinking that you need a good, solid support system to transition to a real-life eating plan, and WW could be an excellent strategy to help you get there.
I've lost quite a bit of weight myself. Have *no clothes* left, and have been reading YLF for ideas. I'm not quite there yet (goal weight), so no major shopping for me just yet...but am I way excited about developing style. So much more fun than the old boxy, plus-sized clothing I was stuck in for so long.
Anyway - you were saying something about "inconstistent commitment" - I've been there myself a few times. I have a suggestion - something that worked very well for me. I took my eating plan, and went looking for where I wasn't exactly following it. That was hard to do, to admit that I wasn't doing it properly or completely. From there though, I created a daily set of worksheets, and these worksheets had daily goals/commitments that I *had to* meet. Very, very simple. I said that I had to eat protein with every meal, that I had to eat 3-5 cups of vegetables every day, and that I had to exercise every day. Printed off those sheets, and made myself account for the cups of vegetables, what did I do that day for exercise and so on. At first the 'exercise' was just simple walks in the evening - the whole point was the daily commitment.
Of course, after eating all those vegetables, there wasn't a whole lot of room left for other, more questionable foods. :)
Maybe this strategy might work for you? Pick three to five daily goals/commitments. Stick to them, no matter what. Keep it very simple - no weird complicated ratios or counting - just distill it down to something like, "I'm gonna eat three cups of vegetables every day, I'm gonna make sure I do something, exercise-wise every single week day" and so on. Keep in mind, when I first started doing this in an attempt to rein myself in a wee bit (ie. get back onto something that works, instead of just coasting along) - my definition of 'exercise' was pretty loose - something/anything. The most important thing was the daily, regular commitment. Some days it was just a simple walk, other days - I was in there in the gym, lifting weights.
Good luck - you can do this!
I'm looking forward to joining YLF at some point - I'll need all the help I can get with my clothes. Have no clue what my 'shape' is either.
In the meantime - you look *great*. Don't let this minor slide get to you. And no, it's not all self-obsessed to notice the difference ten pounds makes. The slimmer you get, the more noticeable a few pounds in either direction makes. When I was 200+ pounds, five pounds either way didn't make much difference.
That is not the case now, as you're also noticing.
Onward and downward :)
Sara
Hey, just found your blog and I just wanted to say that I really enjoy it and am very impressed by the huge weight loss!! That is absolutely wonderful, keep up the good work and don't lose your drive!!
ReplyDelete160 and 170 pounds is the difference between looking skinny and looking chubby
ReplyDeleteMe too! At around 167 I feel much better. It's weird how much significant that borderline is.
Hi Sara, thanks for de-lurking; hope you do it on YLF soon too! You bring up a lot of good points that I do plan on getting to eventually; WW actually has their 8 Healthy Guidelines which once I get into the swing of the weekly attendance habit, etc, I plan on concentrating on. Those are:
ReplyDelete-eat 5 F&V a day
-choose lean meats
-have 2 dairy servings a day
-choose whole grains
-have 2 tsp healthy oil each day
-cut back on sugar and alcohol
-take multi-vitamin
-drink 8 8oz glasses of water a day
As you noted, once you eat those kinds of foods, there's not a lot of points left -- or physical hunger for -- the junkier stuff. I do plan on working on those better as time goes on.
Congratulations on your own weight loss! It's no easy feat, as well I know. :) But don't be afraid to buy a few clothes for yourself even as you are still losing; I found wearing clothes that FIT was immeasurably motivating and educational. Find them in thrift stores or clearance racks, but get yourself at least 102 new bottoms and tops that fit your new body. You will be amazed at how many people notice!
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you de-lurk again soon. :)
My Shenanigans, thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you started posting again; I've been reading yours on Google Reader for a while.
ReplyDeleteAnnie, we are weight twins! Bwahahaha.
Kristen, your journey has been so darn inspirational - even when you backslide a bit, because we ALL do that! The main thing I admire is that you just get completely disciplined again instead of being discouraged.
ReplyDeleteI truly think that you look awesome, but I understand feeling like a 10 pound range can make a world of difference. I'm the same way, and lately I've crept up to the top of that weight range again (I'm not sure why.) I've also noticed that women carry weight so differently! I actually don't carry my weight well at all - I tend to wear a larger dress size than other women who weigh less than me, including you. It's very interesting, and I guess it's good motivation for me to keep my weight down to a moderate level.
Aw, thanks, Kari! I do get discouraged, but that's part of why I started this blog; by taking daily pictures and talking about all of this so publicly, I can't hide for long when things go in the other direction! :)
ReplyDeleteI guess in a way I am glad I put a little weight back on, because it has allowed me to notice these changes and use them as motivation to go back down the scale again. YLF was also a useful tool in helping me recognize this; before, the most I would have noticed was that I looked fat or that my skirt didn't fit anymore. YLF has taught me to notice *where* it didn't fit, and that specificity helps me break it down to a manageable, fixable problem instead of a fait accompli.
Hey!
ReplyDelete(It's MariannaCecile from YLF...)
I was just reading your blog -- super inspirational. I wanted to ask you, if you are interested in selling any of your old size 18 clothes, I'd be interested in buying! Just wanted to put that out there in case you had big clothes just sitting around! Let me know. :)
Hey MariannaCecile! Welcome, and thank you! I've been working hard this year, and I'm glad it's been paying off.
ReplyDeleteI do have size 18 clothes, though not many because I gave a couple of boxes of them to a local friend. But I am sure there are more downstairs. I have to sort through them hopefully next weekend, so I will let you know what I have and we can talk more. :)
Great, thanks. I'm obviously looking for fall stuff, so if you have anything that you think I might like to buy, I'd love to take a look. You have good taste so I'm sure all your stuff is nice! :)
ReplyDeleteI'll leave my email here as that may be easier:
mariannacecile@me.com