Sunday, August 30, 2009

16-Week Commitment Challenge: Week 2 complete

Time to recap Week 2's results!


1. Attend WW meetings every week without skipping any.

Done, but only because I had made this commitment; I had a terrible week and knew I had a significant gain. I was trying to barter with myself, come up with reasons not to go, but as I said at the meeting, I knew after announcing the prior week that I was going to come for 16 weeks I couldn't bail out on week 2, for cryin' out loud! LOL.

So I sucked it up and went. That's why those meetings are important; they force to face reality, good or bad, and when you've gotten off-track that weekly accountability helps get you back on it. And going yesterday has gotten me to recommit.

2. Exercise 4 days a week minimum.
Great googly-moogly, did I fail at this; I only got two days in, Monday and Saturday. I could blame the rainy weather and the fact that both the indoor track and the pool was closed for maintenance, but if I had really wanted to exercise I could have figured something out. Like, say, my Wii sitting right in front of my couch.

3. Count my points in my Tracker.
Not yet. I did download an app for this for my iPhone. I should try to use it. Maybe.

4. Cut back on the alcohol to 1-2 drinks a week.
Eh, I think this was okay; the problem was the other thing Hubby and I do when we are lazy and tired from work and stressed out. We ate out too many times. Need to get a grip on that this week. We have easy-to-cook food in the house; we just need to open the fridge and eat it.

The other commitment I made at my WW meeting was to eat fruit 2 times a day. I can get in my veggies no problem, but when I am grabbing snacks -- particularly on the days when I am traveling to meetings for work instead of being in the office -- I have been grabbing the last of the MF bars or a small weighed-out bag of dried cranberries and peanuts. It's perfectly within plan, but it's not the healthiest choices. Then, because I feel like I've been eating "junk" throughout the day, I am more inclined to make poor choices for dinner. I need to stop that cycle, and to break the mental connection that granola bars or MF bars are acceptable alternatives to real food. They're not; they're processed snack foods with snack-y flavors. They are not meals.

But after 6 months on MF where I ate bars all day long, it's a tough habit to break. I will work on it!

Lastly, I need to remember this: part of why I am wearing dresses all the time now is that I don't want to admit that my size 10 pants don't fit anymore. I need to own up to that ASAP. This isn't a matter of just trying to lose the last bit of weight anymore; I am GAINING IT BACK. That is unacceptable.

My pants don't fit. I couldn't buy any of the beautiful new modern-style pants at Ann Taylor yesterday because I didn't fit into the size 10s. My pants don't fit, my pants don't fit, my pants don't fit.

If I say it long enough and loud enough, then hopefully it will drown out my pizza voice, right?

3 comments:

  1. Kristen, you will be able to get back on track. I think part of this could be that after so many months on MF, you're setting new eating habits for yourself now that you are back on "regular" food. But you are being honest with yourself about what you are doing successfully already, and what you need to do to get back on track, so I have no doubt that you'll succeed.

    Are the WW meetings helpful? I've thought about going on it, but I was thinking about doing it online since I wasn't sure how useful the in-person meetings are.

    I'm in the same boat too. My weight has crept back up to an unacceptable level - technically I'm back in the "overweight" BMI range - and pants are starting to not fit.

    I have committed to working out 5 days a week for 30 minutes a day to try to move more. I also noticed that when I do work out, I'm not hungry for an hour or so after I eat - my stomach gets kind of unsettled from exercise - and I'm inclined to eat lighter, less carb-y meals. I'm also back to my routine of starting my day with a giant pot of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have confidence in you, Kristen! Go to the meetings - I love the "in person" meetings because I can connect with people just starting out and reaffirm my own committment to myself, to stay on track and not beat myself up if I slip on one thing.

    I refuse to buy bars and things like that - they are just too heavily processed for my liking. I would rather eat a giant bowl of popcorn with a mix of real butter and olive oil.

    I have also been struggling with about 8 pounds that I've put on over the last few months. I had a rough weekend with my inlaws (I swear, my mother-in-law used an entire large stick of butter in cooking dinner one night - and she KNOWS that I am still working to maintain my weight! It's such sabotage!), and I need to tell myself, "It's time to get back on track. Eat healthy again!"

    You can do it! I believe in you! Don't let those pants get you down, and don't let food control you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kari, I find the WW meetings to be very helpful, and even more so if you like the leader. There's always a set meeting topic that she covers, but some stick closer to it than others. It's a clear, easy way to regain motivation and keep on track; that face-to-face accountability can be a powerful thing!

    Sheila, my problem with the bars is that they were my main source of food while I was on Medifast;I ate them 5 times a day! I still have a couple of boxes left. DH moved from them to granola bars, but I'm leaning toward just phasing them out altogether; like you said they're just processed food, and I am letting them take the place of the real stuff.

    Hang in there, both of you! We can all do this! It's not even a lot of weight -- just a few pounds between us.

    ReplyDelete