Sunday, July 26, 2009

Newsflash: I am 41, not 14

Here's a hard lesson I have learned this weekend: I am not a teenager. I may be in the best shape of my life, and am actually smaller than when I was a teenager, but I do not have the actual body or metabolism of one.

Here are the injuries that I have inflicted on myself while trying to keep up with my 14-year-old niece this weekend:

1. I burned my finger taking oatmeal out of the microwave (okay, this happened the morning before she arrived, but I still have a nasty blister on my middle finger.)
2. I blew out my vocal cords screaming on a roller coaster. I have had no voice for two days now, and so far, it's still not back. I sound like a squeaking frog, much to the amusement of my husband and niece.
3. I think I gave myself a concussion on another roller coaster, which bounced our heads side to side against a not-cushioned-enough padded harness. I have had a minor headache ever since.
4. I fell off a Segway on our awesome tour of downtown Chicago, scraping and bruising my palm, wrist, elbow and hip. Also humiliating myself. But the Segway was still AWESOME, and I will do it again next year when my nephew visits.
5. I gained 4.2 pounds. !!!!!!

She leaves on Monday morning, then I have a crazy busy week at work, then we leave on Saturday for a week-plus in the Tennessee woods with my sister and her family. Much hiking, running, swimming, and other activities will be going on then, and hopefully the eating will be reasonable. We are staying in a house with a full kitchen, and we have to bring all of our own food since there are few-to-no grocery stores nearby, so it should be okay.

Still. I have got to pull it together. The eating is out of control, and it's mostly been dessert/junk, like ice cream and gin-and-tonics and such. I fare better with actual meals, where I am easily able to put together a lot of veggies and lighter choices, but in between, it's been bar the door, Mary!

So the Diet Goals this week are:
1. No more ice cream. If I need an icy treat, it's back to the popsicles, which I love anyway. Or have a WW yogurt -- I am loving the lemons right now!
2. Stick with the 21 points a day.
3. Start to eat down all the fruits and veggies in the fridge before they go bad.

Exercise Goal: I got in 5 days of exercise this week, no problem! Mainly because we were so active and I tried several new things which I am now obsessed with. Today we are either going kayaking again or swimming, or maybe even both. Yay! Then I will get my runs in on M-W-F, and hopefully be able to swim on either Tue or Thur. (C'mon, weather! Work with me!)

Fashion Goal: get all my laundry done so I can pack for the trip. *g* I've got 4 days of meetings this week, so it will be a lot of dresses and skirts. I think I will break out a couple of my NAS purchases, if I can. Oooooh!

I've also got photos to post, but the niece is sleeping in the room with the computer that holds all of them. So maybe I can get to them later today. Otherwise it will wait until Monday!

3 comments:

  1. I too have been realising that I am an adult now, rather than a teenager.

    For example, this summer I've discovered that I actually need my 8 hours sleep a night to be able to function in work, whereas when I was 17/18, I could get by on 5 or 6 hours of sleep.

    Ouch, your poor head! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, the sleep factor. I made that leap a while ago -- when I made the switch from sleeping in until noon to getting up at 4am. !! It was quite the adjustment but now I hate sleeping in past 8am.

    The niece has been telling us that she usually sleeps 12-14 hours during the summer, and you know, I remember reading that teens actually do need that kind of sleep at that age. But I would hate to go through that again; all those hours, totally wasted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, if you happen to still have some leftover MF meals like the choco pudding...they are great frozen and are my "ice cream." Perhaps you could try that instead...?

    ReplyDelete