
I was given the Sugar Doll award by both Rad_in_Brooklyn, whose Cohabitating Closet has quickly become a daily destination for me, and Jane W at See Jane Remix, who is always full of enthusiasm and great perpective in her comments, and who doesn't give her own stylishness nearly enough credit. (You rock, Jane!) My photography blog, Kudzuplanet, also received this award from What I Would Have Worn, who is a fascinating woman expressing her love of fashion the only way she can these days. Since Kudzuplanet is mostly for my family to see what I am up to with my photos, I prefer to talk about the award over here (only my sister knows about this blog, haha). Thank you all very much, ladies!
Here’s how it works: After I tell you 10 things about myself, I’ll send the award to 10 fellow bloggers. Here are 10 (formerly) little-known facts about me:
1. I am hard of hearing (not deaf) and I wear hearing aids in both ears. I've always struggled to catch everything people say, but as I grew into adulthood it became progressively worse. It is genetic: my dad and youngest sister have hearing problems, although both deny it and refuse to wear aids. My hearing aids have made life easier in many ways, but I do still miss a lot of what is said. Thank God for closed-captioning and texting!
2. I have an uncanny knack in the mornings for getting stuck at the light at the train station just as a train is pulling in or out. My start time is different every day, but the train is always comin'.
3. I used to drink diet Coke all day long. About 10 years ago I knocked it back to two cups of coffee in the morning; now if I have any caffeine past 9am, I can't go to sleep that night.
4. I love the color yellow, in every hue except citron. I don't own nearly enough of it in my closet.
5. My first car was my parent's spare pickup truck. I would blast Janet Jackson's "When I Think Of You" and seat-dance while I drove around with my girlfriends, sneaking cigarettes and laughing our heads off in that big ol' pickup. We thought we were so cool. Oh, 1986!
6. I love playing Monopoly and other games online with my nephews. And Mafia Wars on Facebook with my sister, and Farmville with my cousins and second cousins. I like playing games in general, and it's clearly a family passion.
7. My nickname at home is Boss of the Whole Wide World, and it should be the same at work, were we a nicknaming kind of company. It's not an incorrect epitaph; I am pretty darned bossy. But I wouldn't have to be if people would listen to me the first time I suggest something! I am right, darn it! :)
8. Peanut butter is the greatest foodstuff ever created. Cheese is right behind it on the list, followed by roasted Brussels sprouts, a good crab cake, Kraft mac'n'cheese, and a Tanqueray-and-tonic with fresh lime served by my husband to me on my back porch under the striped umbrella after a long work day.
9. When I turned 30, I suddenly decided I needed to have red hair. Dark, dark auburn red hair. The color refused to stay very long, and after less than a year I went back, but it was fun while it lasted. (I also looked EXACTLY like my sister. She is going to plotz when she sees these.)



(That might be my most favorite picture of me ever. Hubby makes me laugh a lot, and now he has proof that he does. I am going to try to scan it again and make it less dusty.)
10. I used to be able to sing. I had a nice soprano and sang in the choir in grade school and high school, but 20 years of smoking (I'm quit 5 years now!) took its toll; now I'm always offkey or flat, and Hubby has asked me more than once to please not sing along with the song in the car. Ooops. We used to tease my Granny because she would hum a tuneless tune under her breath all the time, and if we asked what she was humming, the song she named sounded nothing like her hum. I find myself doing my own tuneless tune now...but it sounds fine to me! I get it, Granny! :)
++++++
I pass this award along to:
-Michelle at Eyeronic!
-Marianna at Absolutely Apple
-Legacy of Pearl
-Kari of In Kari's Wardrobe
-Helen of Doing a 180
-Kendra of From Tomboy to Fashionista
-Becky of Gilding the Frilly
-Goober
-Shelley of My Journey to Fit
-Taylor of Taylor Wears Everything
It was tough to pick just 10! All of these women have unique, strong voices; it is a pleasure to see the world from their perspective for a few minutes every day.
+++++
Happy Easter to all who celebrate, and Happy Sunday to the rest of us. I am going to Einstein to get a yummy bagel, then heading into work for a couple of hours to catch up on stuff. Lots of deadlines coming due in the next two weeks!
Oh, Kristen- what a surprising recognition!I'm a hard of hearing fellow! Me, too, wearing hearing aids in both of my ears and still missing a lot of what's said!!:-((
ReplyDeleteJust popped in to say this.
Love your blog! You are so inspiring!
/Lyn/
I love this list. That picture of you on the back porch is so cute. I am of course flattered that you read my little blog (I am surprised that anyone other than my friends in real life read it).
ReplyDeleteI second the importance of roasted brussels sprouts. Peanut butter in almost everything. Why has that never gotten old?
Holy cow! We are twins of a different color! Scary!
ReplyDeleteFor those of you who don't know us, my sister and I look exactly alike except she is blond with blue eyes and I'm a dark brunette with brown eyes.
Keep to the blond side of the road, sistah!
LOL
Thanks for passing the award on to me!
ReplyDeleteThis was a fun read. I like you better as a blond, but the red works too! :)
Great list and fun challenge! I'm on it, Kristen. Coming soon to a blog entry near you!
ReplyDeleteAwwww, thanks! Those photos of you with red hair are great. #1 was interesting to me. A good friend of mine (who also has red hair) is adjusting to life with a new baha.
ReplyDeleteCall me nosy, but I love these posts where you can see a little more of that person that is on the other side of the screen.
ReplyDeleteIt's so interesting how maybe you imagined this person was and now getting a little info it all changes.
We get to find similarities that go farther than our taste in clothes.... for example like you :) I love playing games... Yooville and Lexulus (scrabble on Facebook) and I am so bossy.. I wonder sometimes how my H puts up with it !
Hugs.
Thank you for the award! And I love your list - especially #7 (LOL big time).
ReplyDeleteThanks for the award and for sharing such fun trivia about yourself! I'm especially entertained seeing pictures of you as a redhead. As much as I love red hair, on me and on other people, I really think blonde suits you. But that picture of you cracking up is adorable. I hope someday I'll have an opportunity to meet you in person. You seem like such a fun person.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the award! I'll respond asap.
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your trivia. Our favorite color is the same! :)
Those are fun facts about you.But what keeps coming to my mind is 'Was she 30 in those photos???', you look like a teenager.
ReplyDeleteBut I do agr that blond suits you.