I'm not gonna lie, this outfit was no great shakes. But it was one degree and windy, which meant it felt like -18. MINUS EIGHTEEN. In early December. That is not fair! We usually don't get that kind of cold until January when we've had some time to get used to it.
And it was cold everywhere; the windows in my condo are so bad I can see the wind blowing a piece of paper sitting next to it. (We've finally had enough and will be signing the contract for new windows on Saturday. Yes, they will be installing them in the dead of winter; I don't care, we won't make it through the winter like this.) I also had an all-day meeting in a drafty conference room, and I knew was going to slouch and fidget in my chair sitting there for hours on end as people talked. So a dress was not going to work out.
So this is what I ended up with. Not fancy or clever, but warm.
Bottom sweater: grey boatneck, Forth & Towne
Top sweater: teal boyfriend, Ann Taylor Factory
Pants: ponte wideleg, New York & Co
Scarf: dove grey thick cotton, Gap
Tights: Argyle pattern, Target
Boots: plum waterproofs, La Canadienne, switched out at the office with grey patent Oxford shooties, Franco Sarto
Bracelet: fake turquoise stone cuff, Ann Taylor Factory
My new white puffer definitely got worn outside. I don't even care if it's a little snug right now on my hips; that sucker kept me warm!
+++++
In Christmas news, I think I am going to give up on putting up a tree this year. We won't be here for the holiday itself which only leaves us with a couple of weeks to enjoy it with no real payoff in the end. It's too much work for such a short period of time. I might wander through Menards and Target this weekend to see if there is a tabletop tree I can use for years like this.
Also, my husband confessed that he hasn't done a lick of Christmas shopping for me yet (besides my completely awesome Macbook Pro!) so I offered to keep on shopping for myself and just box things up as gifts. This could be the best gift he ever gave me: guilt-free shopping for myself! LOL!
That looks like an outfit I would wear to work except that I wouldn't think to jazz it up so stylishly with the scarf. Note to self: try adding a scarf.
ReplyDeleteI wrote a blog recently about not doing a tree. This year because of the reno but other years because it was more work than it was worth. I got a little pre-lit tree at Lowe's and have it on the kitchen floor. It's about 36 or or 48 inches. After New Year's ... back in its box it goes. Couldn't be easier.
Loved the way you get healthy food into your husband without his knowledge. He just thinks it tastes good. Silly rabbit.
Have fun shopping!
When it's that cold out, being warm matters most. That said though, I love your combination of deep blues and pale grey. The turquoise bracelet is really pretty too.
ReplyDeleteWe got a pre-lit tree at Target a couple of years ago, it's not more than 4 ft. high, and it comes in it's own sort of pot, so no tree skirt required or anything. It has two strands of matte gold beads draped around it, and that's all it needs. At the end of the season, we put a garbage bag over it (we threw out the box), and tuck it into the garage. Christmas rolls around, pull off the garbage bag, and plug the thing in. It's not quite the same as the one I'm going to give you a link to, but very similar. The one we have isn't on the Target website that I can find.
Hmm...can't get the link in here. It's called "Madison Fir Pre-Lit Tree". The one we got a couple of years ago is a little different but the idea is the same. The pot means no bother with a tree skirt - the tree looks really pretty all by itself, with the lights already in it. Only thing we did was add two strands of beads.
Good luck with your windows. You'll be very glad you did this, once they're in.
Yes, that is the best gift your husband can give you.I always think that men that realise that are very smart indeed LOL
ReplyDeleteThe outfit is very nice,I like the colors together and you look very dinamic.
Here the problem is also the windchil,it makes cold even colder if that is possible.
Um, wow that's cold. I like your outfit. I think it's really good to be colorful in the winter. I especially love the scarf.
ReplyDeleteMenards! I remember that from Iowa! In other news, blue is a fabulous color on you. I really like it with the black pants, and I bet the whole thing was snuggly warm beneath a white puff coat. That is some serious cold, by the way, but I'm sure your self-shopped Christmas presents will dry your tears. :) Lucky you!
ReplyDeletexx
I think your outfit looks warm and comfortable for sitting in an all day meeting.
ReplyDeleteI Christmas shop for myself, too! Hubby does buy me a few things that usually have to be returned.
WaS, it was your blog post that got me thinking maybe I didn't have to go whole-hog on the decorations every year, so thank you for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteSara, thanks for the tips. I'll be hitting Target today so hopefully they will still have small trees in stock.
Nurmisur and Diana, I stock up on colorful sweaters all fall so I can wear them through the winter; it never even occurred to me to wear all-neutrals until I joined the blogging world!
Julia, we go to Lowe's and Home Depot more often, but I like Menard's best. Just wish it were closer!
Autumn Rose, usually my husband does very well with finding the perfect Christmas gifts for me, but he's working a lot this year and is exhausted. So I'm giving him a pass. :)