Wednesday, February 9, 2011

WWSW? (What Would Sheila Wear?)

The other day, I did a catch-up post of bright outfits from the last couple of weeks, and my buddy Sheila recommended for the bright gold Gap sweater: with the yellow, try mixing some greys or browns with it to tone it down a bit (but not too much! yellow is meant to be seen!).

I thought about that advice, and I thought about Sheila. I love her blog Ephemera, and her attitude toward life. She's smart, and confident, and funny, and kind of a dork (in a good way!). She's been getting into being a WW leader, and having been one myself for several years, it's heartening to see someone else get sucked into it and who is clearly giving so much back to her groups. It's funny, because stylistically we are complete opposites; she likes clashing colors, lots of accessories and ornamentation, and does most of her shopping at thrift stores. But I am constantly dazzled and inspired by her creativity, and very often I find myself emulating pieces of her outfits myself.

So when I pulled this gold sweater out again, I decided not to follow Sheila's advice, but her example. And her example is often: when faced with a crazy-loud color that you want to tone down, add another crazy-loud color to deflect attention. (Kelly green top and bright yellow boots, whoa!)

I put my own LFD spin on it, but I have to say, it works!



That is a hot pink and mustard Pucci-style floaty scarf I originally bought as a shawl for a dress years ago. When I've worn it in the past, it's been to brighten up a neutral outfit, like below.

DSC_4907DSC_4908

But pairing with the bright gold sweater works surprisingly well too. It tones both down and yet still keeps them on center stage. Thank you Sheila for the inspiration!

(The rest of the outfit is a white cotton tanktop from Target, my grey modern bootcuts from Gap, and the black Naturalizer booties. In case you noticed any of those, LOL!)

7 comments:

  1. That scarf looks amazing with the gold sweater! Great job breaking out of the bright over neutral pattern and going for two bold colors!
    http://www.dlynne16.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to watch two of my favorite bloggers collide like this! :)

    What you two do have in common is - and I know I've mentioned this like a gazillion times - your ability to rock yellow! I really like the bright on bright here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, you are such a sweetie, Kristen, thank you! I only recommended that because you wanted to tone it down - you nailed me, though, you know I love the bright with bright!

    I LOVE the bright scarf with this - I would love to see this combo with a brown or tan pant for more of a spring-y look.

    You're awesome - I'm so glad I "met" you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how different that scarf can look. You really have an eye, Kristen, for pairing up the unexpected. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, LOVE the bright pairing- it's a wondrous group of colors for a sunshine starved winter!
    I also agree with Sheila in that this outfit's top half would look great with a bottom half in brown, tan, (and I'll add:) burgundy, olive, or a tweed with any of the aforementioned!
    Thanks for restoring my faith in Spring...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love LOVE this! That scarf is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Sheila and you totally worked this !
    I think that sweater and scarf were made for each other.

    ReplyDelete