Today, my friend Jessie were out to brunch with plans for some direct-strike shopping afterward (I had a couple of specific pieces that I wanted to shop for). Impulsively I added another stop at the Von Maur next door to the restaurant, where I found a stunning, STUNNING pair of Franco Sarto riding boots. They're so sleek on, perfect for my long calves and dressier style. And about HALF the price of the Fryes I returned!
We headed to our next destination, Ann Taylor, where I had a 40% off coupon for one-full price item, and a deep urgent need to see this dress in person. The dress was even more amazing close up; "dark plume" is a rich dark blue, almost slate but inkier. And it has pockets!
YOU GUYS. YOU WILL PRY THIS DRESS AND THESE BOOTS OUT OF MY COLD, DEAD HANDS.
Keeping them, keeping them, keeping them, OMG I am keeping them. The boots are perfect for dresses and skirts, which is my primary outfit choice these days. But for jeans I still needed to keep looking.
Thus, our last stop was DSW; I wanted to check on another pair of Fryes (the Paige Buckles) with which I have a long and storied history. I bought them last year at Nordstroms with Shopping Friend (who got them in black), but I could not work up the nerve to wear them in the end, so they went back. But a piece of me regretted that choice, and when they showed up at DSW this season (at about $150 less than what they were at Nordie's) I fell in love all over again. I've hemmed and hawed and tried them on at two different stores, but told myself the other Fryes were better and I should stick with those. Since Fryes #2 were now out of the picture, today I gave Fryes #1 another chance. The browns were gone, and I had resigned myself to the blacks, but when I opened the size-nine box, they were brown. I told Jessie it was fate; she rolled her eyes at me but did agree they were awesome boots and I should get them too.
So I did. Here's the rub: I am STILL not sure if I should keep them. I don't have a good eye for wide, casual boots, the kind you are supposed to wear over jeans. What is it supposed to look like? This?
Help! These are my questions:
Should I tuck the jeans in better so they don't scrunch at the top?
Is there something I should do to keep them snug? (I already had a pair of knee socks on over the jeans...)
Do I look as much like an ice cream cone as I think I do?
And then you can see them with a dress.
Is that what it's supposed to look like?
Is the fit right? I could fit my whole hand in the top; isn't that too much?
I would love, love, LOVE, to keep these but I feel just as uncertain and overwhelmed by them as I did last year. This isn't a look I am used to, and I have no idea if I am doing it right. I would like to be able to master it if I could; it's cute and fun and I think I could blend it into my own style. I just have to get more confident about it.
Any suggestions? Thank you!
Found your blog through YLF - where I am more of a lurker than a poster. Don't usually post to blogs, but I just had to write three words:
ReplyDeleteYOU LOOK HOT!
Holy cow, you are rockin' the skinnies tucked into jeans look! Well done :)
- Jes
Ok, here goes.....
ReplyDeleteThe Frye boots, they look like waders (no idea if I spelled that correctly, but fishing boots) on you. They are too big and not flattering. Skinny jeans would work best so that there is not all that scrunching going on. I think that this is a look that both of us just need to give up on, sadly. So, my vote is to return them (again) since they did not work the first time for you. Wait until you see a pair that you get excited about like you did with your new Francos!
Personally, I love mine, however I use mine for different purposes... ;)
Shoppingfriend
I love that I get guest credit, and all I did was steal winter coats from you.
ReplyDeleteWow, thanks for coming out of lurkerdom, Jes; you made my whole night! :)
ReplyDeleteSF, yeah, I was afraid that was going to be the general consensus. I will kick myself so hard if I give up on them too soon again, so for now they will stay in my house and I will try to style them a few more times, especially with the jeans. But if none of the looks work -- and I knew this one didn't before I posted it -- then they will go back and I will move on. Alas!
Jessie, sssssssh. That's a secret! :)
The last boots with the dress look too big.
ReplyDeleteThe jeans tucked in, show your hips, I don't think that you have particulary large hips but they are there.
Have you tried to wear them with a longer shirt or with a more structured jacket?
that dress (ann taylor) and those boots=homaindiandinaikdns,ahfiusfds. i have no real words. i try, but then i drool all over myself.
ReplyDelete